26" Nukeproof Mega AM to 650b

Grisley Paul
Grisley Paul Posts: 186
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Aside from all the "hype" about 27.5/ 650b, has anyone converted a 26 mega am to 650b ?

Just wondering if it's possible with clearance on the back, pretty sure a lyrik will take a 650b with a smaller disc etc

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why do you want to? It will screw the geometry and probably invalidate the warranty. I know a 26" Boxxer won't take a 650b wheel and Lyrik lowers are very similar.
  • Grisley Paul
    Grisley Paul Posts: 186
    Why do you want to? It will screw the geometry and probably invalidate the warranty. I know a 26" Boxxer won't take a 650b wheel and Lyrik lowers are very similar.

Was curious more than anything, there seems to be a current crop of new 650b frames, namely the Ibis mojo and one of the
    Intenses (I forget which model), that are sold as 650b but state can be run as 26" (with a replaceable dropout in the Intenses case)....

Leading me to think that all this talk of geometry blah blah, is just that, marketing mumbo jumbo.... and all manufacturers have had to do in reality to jump on the 650b bandwagon, by and large, is make enough rear clearance for the bigger rim.

Just my 2ps worth
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The replaceable drop outs have different axle positions to correct the geometry for different size wheels.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Just get massive tyres, will be close enough :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Just for interests sake.. Yes it is possible. I joined the forum just to post this because I had searched myself everywhere and found nothing definitave.
    I had a spare 2012 Mega Am frame in the shed which had been replaced by the new Mega AM. I decided to build up for my wife and so its now running a 150mm 27.5 Revelation and 650b DT Spline 1700s with Hans Dampf 2.4 on the front and a 2.3 on the rear.
    I built it up light because shes not a big girl and shes not a super agressive rider but its turned it into a trail weapon. I have to say that I think its fricken awesome. I dont know if its worth converting one from 26 to 27.5 but if you only have a frame and want to build it up then why not. It all fits and in my mind it definatly feels more fun to ride on rooty single trails.. from time to time I actually steal it from her and leave my Mojo HD in the shed so I guess that says quite alot.
    If anyones interested in measurements or photos im happy to post some up.

Cheers

Dale.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Sounds good Dale, would be keen to see some photos ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you keep the A2C the same the geometry will stay the same although the BB will rise by about 1/2", that said of course, big tyres on. 26" have the same radius as 'regular' sized tyres on a 650B.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Any luck with the pics? Considering this myself on a 2013 mega AM...
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.