Small camera to take while cycling

johnmcl7
johnmcl7 Posts: 162
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
This is a slightly different question but thought it worth asking here, I'm wondering if anyone here takes a separate digital camera with them when out on the MTB? My current phone has a very poor camera and there's no alternatives that match the rest of its specifications (Sony Z Ultra) so I've been looking into what small digital cameras there are that would fit in a pocket or onto a belt without getting in the way.

I normally use a Sony RX100 while out cycling which is fine for a jacket pocket but just a bit too big and heavy for a trouser pocket or belt. I had a look at the Canon Powershot N which is strange design but thought it might be exactly what I'm looking for however on paper, the specs aren't too impressive as the weight is quite a bit more than some of their standard compacts. I've also had a look at Sony's QX's series but their cylindrical design doesn't seem well suited to pockets and they'd be too much of a fiddle when out on a cycle.

While typing this I've noticed the Sony TX30 which looks like it might fit the bill perfectly.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you want a large digital zoom? And adjustable settings ie shutter/aperture?
  • johnmcl7
    I'm not at all bothered about digital zoom and not that bothered about optical zoom either, a small zoom range would be handy but the norm now seems to be long zoom ranges and all the compromises that brings. Non-adjustable aperture shutter/aperture isn't that much of an issue either as it's just a camera to take quick shots with.

I have bought a second smaller phone with a decent camera to swap to when out cycling but it's a pain swapping phones so I just end up not doing it.

John
  • supersonic
    I'd have a look at this:

http://www.thehut.com/electronics/digit ... tAod7hEAQQ

Good price, a bit of zoom, great point and click camera. Though not sure is much narrower than what you have.
  • johnmcl7
    Thanks for the recommendation, that looks a good bit thinner than the RX100 and a lot lighter as well plus the low price is appealing because if it gets wrecked (entirely possible when mountain biking) it's not too much lost.

John
  • supersonic
    My brother has one, are nicely made too. The colours are a bit vibrant, but some of the shots were as good as, if not better, than what my Fuji S1500 could manage in auto mode.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I almost always cycle with my hydration pack on, and I put my RX100 in that in this case - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... UTF8&psc=1

Doesn't take up much room, sort of fits in my pocket, and I'd rather be able to take a good shot with the RX100 than an average one with an inferior compact...
  • johnmcl7
    When I'm on the mountain bike I prefer not to have a backpack and while the RX100 is good for its size, it's still a big step down from the larger sensor cameras so going down to a 1/2.3in camera with a dim aperture isn't much of an issue for bright sunny cycles because it's still a big step up from whatever piece of rubbish is in my phone.

John
  • supersonic
    Which phone do you have? Sony Xperia? I have an Xperia S, it is garbage in low light, but for landscape shots is nt to bad.
  • johnmcl7
    supersonic wrote:
    Which phone do you have? Sony Xperia? I have an Xperia S, it is garbage in low light, but for landscape shots is nt to bad.

It's a Sony Z Ultra which has the 6.4in Triluminos screen which is beautiful but also expensive so they had to cut costs elsewhere which meant an old and rubbish camera sensor rather than the decent 1/2.3in sensor the Z1/Z2 get. It's odd given Sony make a lot of decent camera sensors but this one isn't even anywhere near as good as the 8MP sensor in the Samsung S2/Note 1.

John
  • supersonic
    I agree, I think Sony phone cameras are generally poor. And the OE software doesn't help either.

That said, in a pinch, I use it on rides. It needs good light though.
  • johnmcl7
    The annoying part is Sony make some of the best camera sensors which they use in their Z1/Z1C/Z2 and Apple, Samsung and Nokia all use Sony sensors. I've been hoping there would be a Z2 Ultra with the Z2's sensor but it doesn't look like it's going to happen hence looking at a camera instead.