Advice Please

Logic5
Logic5 Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while as I considered buying myself a new mountain bike and hitting some trails, I think my old one is about 16 years old so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Anyway I've narrowed down my bike choice to one of the following and hoped someone could point me in the right direction. I've sat on both of them and didn't really have a preference so now I'm just looking for some advice.

My two choices

Voodoo Bizango http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike-18
This was my original choice which I can get for £420

Boardman Team HT 650B http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-ht-650b-2014
I saw this one in the store and just liked the look of it, I can get this one for £595.

So should I just stick with my original choice of the Voodoo or is the Boardman worth the extra £175?

Thanks.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The boardman has the weaker fork (with only 30mm stanchions and a 9mm qr, it's going to be quite flexy) but is better specced in other ways (2x10 drivetrain with a clutch derailleur, etc) and is a huge 2kg lighter (according to those figures)!

It's a hard one to call, but I reckon at the prices you say you can get them for, they're both good value.
  • Logic5
    Logic5 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice, my original budget was £600 which was the reason I was going for the Bizango, it seems to get a lot of praise so seemed the easy choice.

Then I realised the Boardman would be within budget using codes/sales, they seem to be well thought of from what I can gather but I can't really find much in the way of reviews or anything for the Team HT 650B.
  • ibiris
    ibiris Posts: 1
    Hi Logic5,

Coincidently I'm looking for a new bike, considered both these models as well as others and am now leaning towards the Bizango - mainly influenced by the reviews, but I will hopefully be doing a test ride this afternoon. It looks like quite a large bike being a 29er - something which I am unfamiliar with - but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm intrigued by the good price you're able to get though. My budget is £600, so with the bike at the top end of that, it doesn't give much room for extras (I haven't tried to blag anything yet). I can get it down to about £540 with a 10% off mountain bikes code, but nothing else. I realise you may be able to get extra discount through your employer etc, but I'm interested to know if it would apply elsewhere - every little helps and all that :)