Continental tire treads

wacka
wacka Posts: 169
edited July 2014 in Road general
With regards to continental gp 4seasons and 4000s tires, which way does the tread go on the wheel?

Many thanks

Comments

• IShotYou
    IShotYou Posts: 19
    If you want to know which way it should point?......look at the sidewall on one side.....it has a rotation arrow on it.
  • wacka
    wacka Posts: 169
    Billy basics, how much of a Plonka do I feel!!
  • steve_kay
    steve_kay Posts: 197
    To the best of my knowledge the 4 seasons don't have a directional arrow (I'm currently using a set). Have it so that the tread points in the direction of travel. If you look at the tread pattern you'll see what I mean
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Four seasons do have a rotation arrow on them, but you have to look very carefully on the tyre wall to find them. They are not very prominent.
    Wacka wrote:
    Billy basics, how much of a Plonka do I feel!!

Just checked my bike as this was news to me. Both tyres on the wrong way around. I built my bike myself and looks like I've failed at the basics lol

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Are there any details on just how much of a difference it makes having them the wrong way round?
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Are there any details on just how much of a difference it makes having them the wrong way round?
    NONE hope that helps
  • steve_kay
    In reality, it doesn't make any difference which way round they are. The tread is purely there to displace water.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Steve_kay wrote:
    In reality, it doesn't make any difference which way round they are. The tread is purely there to displace water.

More likely just a design feature.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • steve_kay
    Nope, it's a water displacement thing x
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Tread pattern is not needed to displace water...it's just to make people feel more confident in the wet by fooling them into thinking they have "rain-friendly" tyres on.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    All road tyres should IMO be completely slick
    If a tyre is completely slick, it's difficult to tell how worn it is, so it can be that you don't notice until the canvas shows (and the tyre deflates shortly afterwards).
    Some slicks have small indicator pits, but you've got to remember to check them, rather than being obvious like a partly worn away tread pattern is.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    NewTTer wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:
    NONE hope that helps

haha, I figured it'd be minimal. I was just curious.