position on bike.

Nairnster
Nairnster Posts: 602
edited July 2014 in Road general
I quickly got the fiancee to take some pics of me sitting on the bike.

I have tried to set it up best I can myself. Anyone give any pointers on my position? Areas to adjust etc

20140725_125458_zpsuqnhyxib.jpg

20140725_125508_zpsbj5hlbkp.jpg

20140725_125522_zpsjoamiqgp.jpg

20140725_125530_zpsgs5mervg.jpg

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Look where you're going.
  • Nairnster
    Well that didnt take long.

Constructive criticism only please, as its obvious I am sat on the bike and not moving forward.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Is it not comfortable as it is?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You need to add a picture where your leg is at the bottom of the downstroke, i.e. your crank arm is parallel to the downtube. In this position your knee should have a bend of 25-30deg*

*Other people have other ideas but this is what my bike fitter told me.
  • Nairnster
    It is comfortable, but at the moment I am only doing short rides coming back from a while off with injury.

Was looking for comments on areas for improvement etc, or if it looks like I may be likely to encounter problems as mileage increases etc.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Nairnster wrote:

Was looking for comments on areas for improvement etc, or if it looks like I may be likely to encounter problems as mileage increases etc.

There's nothing obviously wrong, so the only way is to get some longer rides in and see how you fair.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yeah if you are comfortable stick with it! I'd only start tweaking once experiencing discomfort or pain.

Neck and shoulder pain can be an issue, but improves quickly in my experience with more use and better core strength.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nairnster wrote:
    It is comfortable, but at the moment I am only doing short rides coming back from a while off with injury.

As others have said, there is nothing obviously wrong with that position, so keep riding it. There's no need to wory about problems if you don't have any.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I think the position of the trellis is off - have they fallen over ? :lol:

Get rid of the Hummvee shorts - this is a serious recommendation by the way as I found they really caused a lot of chafing when I moved to a drop bar bike. Also - I'm far from expert but your bike looks too small for you. There's no way I'm as close to the stem as you are.
  • Nairnster
    Thats a 55cm ETT and I am 5'10" tall.

When you say close to the stem, what do you mean exactly?
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    also looks too small to me. too close to the stem = top tune too short
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Lol. You do look like your riding a childs bike (you look massive, in comparison). Might want to go with a longer stem to stretch you out a bit.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Nairnster wrote:
    Thats a 55cm ETT and I am 5'10" tall.

When you say close to the stem, what do you mean exactly?
    Firstly let me state that I am no expert and I agree with madasahattersley, no one can really tell you from the pictures.

What I would say is though that you look like you could put your nose in front of the stem, there's no way I could do that on my bike and it is apparently (according to numerous people far more knowledgeable than me including the Retul University fitter) the correct size for me.
  • Nairnster
    There is literally not a single person on this earth who can genuinely recommend changes to your position based on still photos or even a video. Not even a 3d XYZ dynamic mapping.

The only way to get a bike fit is to pay a knowledgeable and reputable person to do it for you. Replies to this thread will be of zero use. Zero.

Thats interesting as there was recently a thread where someone asked about podition, and all of the replies asked for photos.

As all of the replies are of zero use, I will include yours in that statement.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Nairnster wrote:

There's nothing obviously wrong, so the only way is to get some longer rides in and see how you fair.

That would be my advice as well. If it was me I would want to be a little more stretched out horizontally but the basic setup seems fine.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I'm sure you'll find out yourself the tweaks needed after 50 miles or so...
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    A little off-topic but you don't look much like your profile picture. The internet strikes again.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    edited July 2014
    edit: retracted as it was a dick comment
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    you may not like Mads reply to you but how can anyone assess your flexibility, strength, torso and leg lengths from a few pics? regardless of what was asked for on another post?
    basically, you are asking advice from people who probably kno very little about bike fits and even less about you :)
    having said that, you look very up right, with a pronounced curve in your spine but then I like a long stretched out position... you may not, that's the issue here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Mads has more 'real' cycling experience than most on these forums take note of his reply. If you want an anecdotal, fantasy or vanity bike fit from a bunch of people with dubious experience (I include myself in that) go ahead, if you're serious get a real life bike fit from a reputable fitter. If you're riding for fun and pleasure just carry on.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....