BWC 2014

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
So, BWC 2014 on Sunday.

Anyone know if there is a luggage store (don't want to ride with a bag on my back) and do folks ride clipless or is it flats all the way?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm pretty sure there was somewhere to leave bags last year.

Clipless pedals de rigeur at the front of the field (quite a few people had modified their gearing too). You have to run to your bike at the start, so go for SPD or similar if you can.

Have fun, and good luck!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Thanks to some appalling scheduling by my other half I now can't go. If anyone with a brompton wants a participant ticket for free for the world championship race on sunday then PM me.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • asprilla
    That was hard work.

Jacket, suit and tie in 25c temperatures make for some interesting riding.

In a slight change to previous events the clock started when the buzzer went rather than when you crossed the start line and so the run to the bike and the unfolding was included in your time. They also set us off in waves of 200, separated by 1 minute and I went off in wave four.

I wasn't quick away from the pen, I was more interested in getting the saddle right than getting away first in my wave. Anyway, once away I was cutting through the field like a hot knife through butter; half a lap in and I've got a line behind be but no-one wants to come through. It continues like this until a quarter of the way into the second lap and that's when the lead pack came through from the first wave.

They were shifting. So I jumped on the back and left my trail behind.

Turns out I wasn't the only freeloader; two Italian chaps are driving the pace, and they know it. They regularly turned around and asked anyone to take a turn; 'You all bought tickets for this train, but none of you want to sit at the front?' I'm not sure they actually needed any help.

I couldn't help but I could hang on fairly easily. We were motoring but at the end of the third lap we charged into the chicane and there were a fair few back markers making their way through. I wasn't as brave as others and had to brake and coming out the otherwise I was soon around 100m behind. I was able to maintain that for another half a lap before they started moving away again. Fortunately another couple came through and I was able to jump on with them working as a three (with a hanger on) until the end.

The other chap in our group nearly lost it on the final quarter lap when he lost concentration (we were knackered) and nearly ploughed into the back of a back marker. He was very apologetic (but we didn't slow) and she swore a lot. I think he waited at the finish to say sorry again.

Crossed the finish line, down the slip lane , dismounted and then stopped the clock at 27m 27s. No idea what the official time or my position was.

Good day out, I'll be back next year. But hopefully with modified gears (there were some huge chain-rings on show and a couple of Brompton recumbents) as I only used the high gear for the whole thing and could have done with a higher one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good work and write up.

I haven't done it for a couple of years, certainly since it moved. I will have to do so again. It is about the only chance the brompton gets to be ridden these days!
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Asprilla wrote:
    In a slight change to previous events the clock started when the buzzer went rather than when you crossed the start line and so the run to the bike and the unfolding was included in your time. They also set us off in waves of 200, separated by 1 minute and I went off in wave four.

Are we sure this was true? I thought it was just a rumour that spread because the idiot announcer! The BWC rules still clearly state that "the unfold of the bike is not included in the race time." Apparently they told us in the rider briefing!? I certainly didn't hear it.

I strolled over to my bike, unfolded, helped my mate with his bike, waved at the crowd... I was only leaving the pen as Wave 3 were released, so already would have been a minute down on the quick guys from the start of Wave 2.

No issues anyway... i'm still WORLD CHAMPION! I timed myself at 23:19, will be interested to see the official times.
    A brilliant event, as always.

14578899458_6ac17a816b_z.jpg
  • asprilla
    The race director stated timing was from the horn when he was giving the briefing. Still remains to be seen if it's true.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Koncordski
    memsley89 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

No issues anyway... i'm still WORLD CHAMPION! I timed myself at 23:19, will be interested to see the official times.
    A brilliant event, as always.

14578899458_6ac17a816b_z.jpg

Chapeau! 8)

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • asprilla
    Indeed, excellent work!

I emailed Brompton to ask if there was anything I could do about changing my gearing and their response was; no.

Looks like I need to find good bike shop and someone with some metal work skills.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edited July 2014
    Well done, Memsley!

Asprilla, there's a member bencooper over on single track world forum who's a whizz with Bromptons (Rohloff mod. etc)- maybe worth getting in contact?

Edit: post ate the name
  • Koncordski
    Asprilla wrote:
    Indeed, excellent work!

I emailed Brompton to ask if there was anything I could do about changing my gearing and their response was; no.

Looks like I need to find good bike shop and someone with some metal work skills.

The largest brompton chainring is 54, a 58T will fit fine, a 60T is possible with some fettling of the front locking hook. A rohloff hub is the answer for really big ranges.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • asprilla
    Koncordski wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Indeed, excellent work!

The largest brompton chainring is 54, a 58T will fit fine, a 60T is possible with some fettling of the front locking hook. A rohloff hub is the answer for really big ranges.

I've been trying to get hold of the new spider crankset that let's you change the chainring but there isn't even an availability date for them. It's been that was for nearly a year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    So, results are in and I got 42nd overall. Pretty happy with that.

Weirdly they have included the time from the horn in the overall race time, but not in the rankings. I guess they couldn't make up their minds.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3