High St Ken--->Staines best route?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
So the straight line is the A315 all the way from Chiswick - but for some reason the TFL route planner avoids it and puts you on the A4 Great West Road .... is there a reason for that?
Also is there a nifty way to circumvent Hammersmith gyratory to the north to get round onto King St?
Thanks.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    A315 is a nicer than the A4, and more direct.

if you want to avoid Hammersmith, you can go via Sherperds Bush, which is less worrysome.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I do Ashford ---> High st Ken daily and use the A315.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    More scenic would be to head South over Putney Bridge, through Richmond Park and out West via Hampton Court on a nice evening.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    holiver wrote:
    More scenic would be to head South over Putney Bridge, through Richmond Park and out West via Hampton Court on a nice evening.

I should add this is how I get home, Putney > Richmond Park > Twickenham > some estate > Feltham Hill Road > Ashford and you can easily wind your way to Staines.

For some reason doing the A315 in the morning is pleasant but coming home that way is horrible.

Happy to post some rides and routes if you want KnightOfTheLongTights but you better not be fast for the sake of my KOMs ;)
  • iPete wrote:
    holiver wrote:

I should add this is how I get home, Putney > Richmond Park > Twickenham > some estate > Feltham Hill Road > Ashford and you can easily wind your way to Staines.

For some reason doing the A315 in the morning is pleasant but coming home that way is horrible.

Happy to post some rides and routes if you want KnightOfTheLongTights but you better not be fast for the sake of my KOMs ;)

Cheers both - something of a one-off this as I was just trying to get out on an evening training ride - out to Staines, pick up the backroad to Datchet and Windsor and then round to Chobham and Byfleet and back to Twickenham via Hampton.
    I commute from Twickenham to HSK every day so was just trying to avoid my normal HSK-Hammersmith Br-Barnes-Mortlake-Sheen-Richmond run for the sake of variety.
    Ended up not doing that at all and went HSK-Hamm Br-RP-Kingston-Hampton Court-Walton-Weybridge-Byfleet-Chobham-Windsor-Datchet-Staines-Shepperton-Twick.
    iPete- I have my moments but a certain patchiness / inconsistency in my training regime means I never really get all THAT quick...