which would you get ?

WEWking
WEWking Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Scott scale 620 (2013) or Scott scale 740 (2013)
(has to be one of the two )

Same price £1300 , same groupset slx/xt mix and same fox float evolution. The only difference is the carbon frame on the 620 and the 27.5 wheels on the 740.
I love the idea of carbon and I think the carbon is potentially worth more with higher rrp but I also like the idea of having a 27.5 wheel for a little more flat speed.

My question is would it be really worth it getting the 27.5- 740 rather than the better carbon frame with smaller wheels? second question would it be possible to in the future stick a 27.5 rim with low profile tires to the 620 ? I have heard Scott bikes have more tire/mud clearance. Opinions /suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance WEWking

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A carbon frame would appeal to me more than a slight increase in wheel size, but then I haven't ridden a 27.5" bike yet so can't talk from experience, although a few guys I know have them and the general consensus is they hardly even notice a difference.

Test ride them if you can and see what you think.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • WEWking
    This is kind of what i thought ,tried a 740 and 620 in the LBS car park but this didn't really separate the two and prompted this question. Excellent quality alloy frame on the 740 but the lines on the 620 where a thing of beauty. 620 1 - 0 740
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I guess it might depend on your long term views - carbon frame might equate to better resale value but potentially the 26" might work against that if nobody uses them in a couple of years.

For what its worth I'd avoid anything with a Fox Float Evo on it though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • WEWking
    This bike has to last 5-6 years albeit upgrades and new kit when it wears out. The 26 inch becoming less common is a concern as you stated but gonna have the bike until I get bored of it.

thanks guys for your help!!!
  • CitizenLee
    26" aren't going anywhere, no matter what the marketing hype-machine is saying. Tyres and tubes will always be readily available :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    slighty different geometry between the 620 and the 740 - 740 has a longer top tube and 1 degree difference in head angle. the The 620 would probably be a bit twichy on any downhill sections.

all depends what you tend to ride
  • WEWking
    Any thoughts on 27.5 rims on the 620 ?
  • CitizenLee
    Might fit with narrow tyres, but I'd worry mud clearance would be an issue.

Out of interest, why does it have to be one of the two Scotts? Cycle to work scheme or something?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • WEWking
    returning a lrg Scott 640 that was a tad to big for a medium so have to use store credit
  • WEWking
    Ok so i think i'm leaning towards the 620 with the carbon frame as I do long distant trails where the carbon will reduce fatigue and the fact i have 3 sets of 26" tires seems pointless to waste these. plus its harder to get slicks for 27.5 at the moment and occasionally need to do long journeys on the road and slicks are a must. Unless any one has any major revelations that i should go with the 740 than 620 it is and am going to order this Monday morning.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd have the carbon 26" one I reckon.