front derailleur issues

aradoman
aradoman Posts: 66
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

trying to fit a front derailleur to my carrera zelos frame, but running into issues due to the position of the rear suspension mount on the downtube.

basically i have 3 derailluers in the spares box, low mount, normal and high mount. see pic;

20140725_110145.jpg

if i use the high mount derailleur above the suspension mount, its too high to use the granny ring, as the chain is pulled up by the bottom of the cage. below the suspension mount and its too low etc. (rules this one out completely)

the low mount one cannot be mounted far enough down the downtube to stop the same happening (i.e. the cage remains too high and granny ring cannot be used)

i thought i was on to a winner with the 'normal' mount derailleur, mounting it below the suspension mount (meaning it was technically a few cm too low as its a 3 ring derailleur and wouldnt have cleared a 3rd ring) but as its mounted a few cm lower than it should be, it fouls the swing arm during travel of suspension

20140725_110139.jpg

as you can see its already caught the frame at only 1/3rd travel

any suggestions what type of derailleur will fit/work? i know going 1x9 is an answer but id rather have 2x9

was thinking of maybe a direct mount 2x speed with a seattube adapter (high mount of course) as these seem to have quite a high mount?

there must be a derailleur that fits anyway, it sure as hell came with one when they were new!. the frame is basically a carrera banshee circa 09/10 (guess)

(ps i got the frame NOS so came with no parts)

Comments