Travelling abroad

tetley10
tetley10 Posts: 693
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Looking for a bit of help and advice.
Gonna put it on the bike rack for the car, what I suppose I am asking is, is it safe to just leave it on the bike rack whilst on the ferry? Or do you gents lock your bikes up?

(I know it's a pony question) Just trying to pick some brains.

Cheers men

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My rack came with a long cable lock (the kind you could get through with scissors) so I just used that.

I take the tunnel rather than the ferry these days; quicker, cheaper and you can arrive two hour before or two hours after your booked time so it's more flexible too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Access to below decks isn't allowed en route and at debark time everyone is so desperate to get off that the chance of it being unhitched is a bit remote. A small lock won't hurt, but I can't see it being a risk.
  • tetley10
    Thanks. I'm probabaly just worrying about it too much.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    We're sailing Sunday and this particular worry hadn't crossed my mind - the "arm-grabber-thingy" has a lock so I was assuming it'll be ok. I was more worried about coffee breaks at the aires. I'll have to leave the 10 year old guarding it
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I rode my bike onto the ferry once and locked it up on the lower deck. To be on the safe side I made sure I was one of the last people up and one of the first down.

My theory was that nobody could nick it once underway. But if you came back and the bike had gone I can't imagine them holding up the cars until you found which one had your bike in! I'd be trying damn hard though!
  • tetley10
    I know, I'm thinking of two weeks riding in the sun being smashed before I even get off the ferry. Might ask the skipper if he will mind it in his office, tell him there is a drink in it for him.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Car will be empty on the crossing itself - put in in the car?

We just drove across to France and I took the wheels off and laid it on top of the luggage cover. OK, I've got a 5 door car so I can get away with it but if you have the space, then keep it inside.