Fulcrum racing 5 freewheel noise

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Had a pair of fulcrum 5 'a for about 2 months now. The freehub seems to make and inconsistent clicking noise. There is a loud click then a very silent one in between each loud click.

This could be completely normal and therefore a totally irrelivent post

But just checking alls good

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    sounds like one of the pawls is sticking, a quick strip down will sort it, but i wouldnt worry
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    They can be intermittent.
    I had these on my old Fulcrum Racing 1 a few years back.
    I wouldnt worry about it too much for now.
    Keep an ear and eye out with a regular check.
    If you start getting slippage then get onto it with a strip down, clean and grease.
  • roubaixtom
    Are they easy to strip down?
    Should I get in contact with fulcrum ?
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    You should have an allen bolt on the axles.
    After wheel removal you can loosen this bolt and get access.
    I think Fulcrum have a PDF doc on their website you may be able to download which will help you.
    it is straight forward.
    The bearings are cartridge tye bearings and so a quick clean and regrease should be good enough to resolve this.
  • roubaixtom
    The noise isn't that bad and they are very new. It could just be me hearing things that are totally normal.

Cheers
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    stevenb wrote:
    You should have an allen bolt on the axles.
    After wheel removal you can loosen this bolt and get access.
    I think Fulcrum have a PDF doc on their website you may be able to download which will help you.
    it is straight forward.
    The bearings are cartridge tye bearings and so a quick clean and regrease should be good enough to resolve this.

if you ve the 2014 versions they have cup and cone hub bearings, so bear that in mind if you strip it down your self (freehub stays cartridge) remember, they ll still be in warranty.

fwiw I would investigate, as if the single circular spring goes, that's the end of your ride, as there is no pawl pick up and you lose any forward drive.
  • roubaixtom
    I undid the the Allen key bolt on the left hand side of the axel. I pushed the freehub out and it revealed 3 bits of metal on springs that are obviously there to lock when you pedal. I couldn't get it back in it eventually did by squeezing them in. Is that the right way to do it.

I couldn't find anything abnormal

Cheers

Tom