anyone use GPS watches?

sprite1275
sprite1275 Posts: 157
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Got me a polar RC3 GPS watch for £99 from halfords the other day. Came with HR strap, bike adapter and cadence sensor.

Never had something like this before and must say they are superb. Great looking watch with loads of data and they are a great way of making you push harder.

Comments

• I use the garmin forerunner.. brilliant bit of kit for whay I need
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I use a Forerunner 410. It's spot on.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I have a Garmin 610 for running and used to use it on the bike as well. As you might imagine, they do a great job of logging all your data but it really is a bit of a pain having to look at your wrist every time you want to check your speed or distance. Also having to scroll through pages was a bit of a pain on the bike.

In the end I bought an Edge 800, which is always right in front of your eyes and can have loads of data fields per page. Rarely use the watch on the bike now, but it still does a great job when I have to.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Friend of mine has a Suunto watch she uses - it has an app to show you how many beers you have earned on a ride - golden.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • sprite1275
    Never really been that bothered about looking at my speed etc on a bike, Also dont like attaching things to my bike if i dont need to. When I saw this at the reduced rate and can wear it as just a watch I had to get it.

I like quirky looking watches anyway but after using it I think its great.
  • Aye.. if you have time to check your speed/distance while on the bike, youre not riding fast enough in the 1st place!

On my watch it just shows clock time as a big dial, then time taken and distance in smaller sub-dials.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Just had a quick look and seems to be £150 now, mind if i ask how you got it for £99, or has it just gone up in price in the last 4 days?!

How does the cadence part work, is it something that attaches to your bike?
  • sprite1275
    welsh_14 wrote:
    Just had a quick look and seems to be £150 now, mind if i ask how you got it for £99, or has it just gone up in price in the last 4 days?!

How does the cadence part work, is it something that attaches to your bike?

It wasn't at £99 for long http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/polar-rc3-gps-watch-hr-mon-bike-add-99-99-halfords-1957505?page=3#post22420385 think it was a price error really.
    The cadence sensor cable ties onto the chain stay with a magnet that straps to the crank arm.
  • Pikestar
    Pikestar Posts: 2
    I use a foretrax 401, or just my mobile phone.
  • I just use my mobile phone as well. Some decent apps out there for free. Decent battery life on my phone as well with GPS on so I don't see the need to spend any money on something else ... just yet :P
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've got a Garmin 405, used to ride with it regularly - you can get handlebar mounts for watches. Two drawbacks, one is the slightly small screen (not too much of a problem really), the other was battery life, 3 hours tops on my 405. I paid £90 for a Garmin 500, excellent bit of kit.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I use my 'phone at the moment. Only problem woth that is that I'm also doing some running and it's a bit of a weight to carry in relation to a watch - do have the option of an arm-strap for it but don't always take it with me!

What would prevent me using a GPS monitor ('phone or watch-face) attached to the bike is that I have a tendency to occassionally wipe-out, even on a gentle xcountry ride. Having managed to break reflector brackets and the like in the past doing this, I'd be extremely nervous about the same fate befalling the GPS monitor.