In Praise of Bird Bikes

bj639
bj639 Posts: 76
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Not sure if this is the best place to put it so apologies if not.

I wanted to just post about my experince buying a new bike. I have ridden 'mountain bikes' for a few years now but to be honest its been mainly lanes, disused railway lines with the odd trek to a trail centre thrown in. My bike was a bottom of the ladder trek with v brakes, dodgy cheap as chips shimano gears and an 80mm suntour fork that was about as much use as a couple of slinkys on the front.

I posted up on this forum asking for advice and got plenty (so thanks folks) and the Bird came up onto the list. I had a look and the bike looked great (even in the same colours as the mighty Sheffield Wednesday :D) and the kit looked great.
I did have reservations (especially as a novice) about buying on-line but I spoke to Ben and he was a great help, offering advice on sizing, which stem etc and putting up with some stupid questions so I took the plunge and dropped the money. Just a week later and the bike arrived today. I had some trouble with the rear wheel so a quick call to Bird and shortly after Ben is filming a video to show me the solution!

The bike looks fantastic in real life, the photos really dont do it justice and it positively sparkles in the sunlight. The gears and brakes were all aligned brilliantly and didnt take me long to take her out for a first ride. Only round the country lanes but enough to get a feel and it fits perfectly. The gearing compared to my old bike is like driving a ferrari after having a Lada Riva.

Hoping to get her up to Dalby and Sutton Bank in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the long waffle but I liek to give credit where its due. Bird have given me fantastic service, the spec is great for the price, the bike looks great and its been great to put some money into a new British company and its cool having something that I wont see a hundred of in every trail centre carpark. If your looking for a hardtail I highly recommend you take a look at Bird.

Thanks Bird!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your image isn't showing....

Hearing only good things about Bird so far.....mind you your user name starting with a b could make people suspicious!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bj639
    bj639 Posts: 76
    My initials but definately not connected to Bird except as a happy customer!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    All good news.

If I have the room for a second bike a Bird would be very high on my list. I really like the way they are speccing the bikes so sensibly, no hidden duff parts. Well done to Ben & co.