Premium Bonds

metronome
metronome Posts: 670
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone have any? How long have you had them and have you ever seen a return?
tick - tick - tick

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes I have them (nearly the full amount of £30k, I'm not as rich as this would imply) and used to have 2xfull amount. I've seen a few £25 returns recently say one every 3 months, use to get some £25 and £50 returns which averaged the predicted 3% return - its less now.

Its not a bad way to put away money - returns are meagre, but the money is safe and you have a [small] chance of winning it big.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    over 40 years
    no idea, lost one, as for the other, can't be bothered with the rigmarole to get a pre-computer pb upgraded to find out
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    I held £30k for about 18 months and probably won around £1300, cashed them in to buy a house for the kid.

No massive wins, £50 max but my dad did win £500 on his.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I have 8k, and I've had £100 this year in £25s

I got them because it's like the lottery without losing the stake.

The older I get, the better I was.

• I like the fact that what ever you win is tax free too :D
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I've considered them on a few occasions but have always decided that investing in blue chips is a better option. I've yet to have any cause to regret such a decision.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,339
    Premium Bonds are shyte.

I cashed mine in. Lost most of the Bonds over the years but filled in a form at the PO and they were all listed and cashed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    I have a few. Seemed to win £25 every month for the first year . Since then not won has much but had a few bigger wins. I have some and my wife has some [ I bought her £5000 worth ] She seems to be getting the wins.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I got £5. Some family member once bought me and my sister a £5 premium bond as a Christmas present. Trouble is it was put in my sister's name. The one in my name I've lost the details so don't know if I ever won. Doubt it with only £5.
    Anyone know how to trace them if you have no details at all other than your name?
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    According to the odds calculator on Money Saving Expert (bond holders can also calculate their past luck here), based upon having average luck, with an investment of 30k, you should expect an annual return of about £350 (£29 p/m).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/saving ... alculator/

1 in 47 billion are the odds of winning the million - like entering a raffle with the population of 6.3 planet Earths :|
    tick - tick - tick
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I moved a couple of thousand from a savings account into bonds in Dec last year and have had a couple of £25 wins which is more than I would have got in interest.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Me and the other half have the max each (was 30k, just upped last month to 40k) the returns have not been that bad when compared to the awful interest rates we have "enjoyed" (as savers not mortgage payers) over recent years.

When interest rates go back up may move some but usually when this happens the prize pot also goes up as this is what the prize pot is loosley based on.

This last month (July) I won £125 and consistantly win 25's 50's. Biggest single win was 1k about seven years ago.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Easy place to put savings that you might need quickly. The 'interest rate' probably won't be as good as locking money into something more long-term, but you can log into your account and have bonds cashed in very easily.

I've around £10k worth and usually get a prize (usually £25, but a couple of £100s over the years) every few months.

I'm not a big risk taker financially, so I like the security of them - and it gives me a little gambling rush each month when I check the results!

You can, on average, get more for your money elsewhere - but the security and speed of access make them a pretty decent place currently for some of your savings. And who knows, maybe Agent Million will come knocking on your door one day?