Cannot make my mind up...

princebishop75
princebishop75 Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Looking at spending between £750 and £1000 on a hardtail mountain bike - either a Boardman or a Specialized Rockhopper.

Whilst I am open to other suggestions, I cannot make my mind up between the two makes...or which model to get.
Considering Boardman's Team @ 850 or Pro @ 1000....or Specialized's Rockhopper Comp @ 850 or Pro Evo @ 1000.

I am 6ft4 and about 99kg in weight...will I really notice the upgrades in the more expensive models?

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am over 6ft6 and a similar weight. The advice I would give is try to make sure you get a decent air fork with the bike. That way it is easy to adjust the air pressure to your weight so the fork works well.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Rockhoppers are terrible value for money. It would be hard to pick something worse.

The Boardmans are very good value indeed and if it is definitely between those two then it's a very easy decision.

I too like the look of the Birds though.
  • CitizenLee
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Rockhoppers are terrible value for money. It would be hard to pick something worse.

Good frames though, and Specialized warranty is second to none.

My money would still be on a Bird ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Boardmans frames are also very good and made in the same factory as the Rockhopper. Halfords are surprisingly good with the warranty as well.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    CitizenLee wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Good call, but the Birds are at least 200 quid over his maximum price.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • CitizenLee
    Clank wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Good call, but the Birds are at least 200 quid over his maximum price.

Worth saving up the extra for the spec you get.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    True, but then another 200, and another 200 ;-)

For a grand, and an XC oriented bike, this is wrth a look:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s2p43 ... LOY-1-2012
  • Thanks for the advice. Will spread the search wider!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Thanks for the advice. Will spread the search wider!

Nothing wrong with the Boardman, a very good choice.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    CitizenLee wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Thanks! Just FYI all birds have a lifetime transferrable warranty on the frame. Specialized are maybe second only to bird in warranty ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Back again....

Had a little ride on the Boardman Team 29er, I am 6ft4inches...the frame/bike seemed a little too small. It was the 19inch large frame....has anybody of similar height rode one?

Any thoughts on Whytes? Or the Scott Scale 960?

Probably looking more at the £800 mark now....anything else I should consider? Bought What Mountain Bike magazine this morning and it scores the Saracen Mantra Trail very highly, but try and find one for sale! Impossible...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At 6'4" you're probably going to need an XL in most bikes.
    Im only 6'1" and the 19" Boardman is too small for me.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    At 6ft4 you need to be careful to get a bike that's fits you well, don't try to make a bike that is much too small fit you. I am over 6ft6 and ride a 23" specialized Carve (now Crave) as it fitted me well and rode well. At my height I have limited choice don't have the range if bikes and spec 's others have to choose from.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    im 6ft and ride a Boardman 29er in large and its perfect for me but as above youll need an xl if they do one.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011