Best usable OS maps on AA battery device?

Al Downie
Al Downie Posts: 27
edited July 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I have a Garmin Vista HCx which is great as far as it goes, but I'd rather have a usable (larger screen) display of 1:50k OS maps on my handlebars. I'd also like the device to be AA powered, so I have the choice of using rechargeables or disposables depending on where I am and what resources are available. If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd be very grateful for a recommendation!

Thanks in advance,

Al

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I use my iPhone for maps and I have a rechargeable battery pack in my saddblebag which I run a cable to my handlebars.

I use a topeak ridecase 2 to hold the phone.

I know its not really an answer (sorry) but I do think its an excellent way of having a screen on the bike, and if they do a OS maps feature it could help.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Big screen and AA sounds like a Satmap to me
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/g ... tAod6HoAlw

The current hiking Garmins (eTrex 20/30, GPSMap62 or 64, Oregon, Montana, Dakota) also take AA batteries and display raster maps like those from the OS.

Consider whether you want to use a touchscreen device rather than buttons. A touchscreen can be difficult to use with gloves, and also you've pretty much got to look at the screen, rather than the road, whilst doing anything, whilst buttons can largely be operated by feel.

On Garmins, you also get to use alternative mapping from OpenStreetMap (free), which may be of importance if you go to foreign parts where the OS doesn't provide coverage. Foreign raster mapping is possible in some countries, but do you want to send £100 or £200 for maps that you'll only use for a couple of weeks.

(no direct experience - I'm still on a Vista HCx)

Phones as navigation devices:
    a) fairly low cost for the maps if you've already got a suitable phone.
    b) battery consumption is high, so an external battery pack is pretty much required, and these are pretty much all recharge from mains power.
    c) touchscreen, as above
    d) most aren't weatherproof, so some sort of cover/housing is required
    e) screens depend on backlight rather than being reflective like GPS screens, and can be hard to view in bright sun.
    f) all eggs in one basket - if you've run the batteries down navigating, you can't phone to say you'll be late home.
  • Brassy
    Brassy Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I used to have the Vista HCx but replaced this with the Oregon 300 from garmin for the larger screen and touch screen. I've used the device now for ages with the City Navigator maps for all of Europe. The City Navigator maps don't cost too much and you have all the roads you need for Road biking.

The Oregon is getting a bit dated now and you can pick up a second hand one in the internet. The best thing is that it takes 2xAA batteries which last more than one day. But I keep 2 spares in my pocket when riding and can simply change the batteries along the way. I've sometimes just pulled into petrol stations and bought some along the way.

I use the oregon by doing all my planning at home and creating tracks which I load onto the device. But it's been useful as well just to route me home when I've had enough and just want to get back quickly.

The screen is pretty easy to read either when it's not sunny or when it's really sunny and the sun is on the screen (front lighting!).

The only bad thing compared to a real map.... if you zoom in you get more detail, but if you zoom out you lose detail especially the small roads you want. With a paper map when you zoom out (extend your arms!), you can still see the detail and the overview.