choosing the right saddle

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Choosing the right saddle can be an expensive job so before I go buying what's your pref ?. For the last couple of years Iv'e rode a specialized toupe 143mm. I've always blame the shorts for the chaffing and sore behind but after more than my fare share of shorts & bib shorts I'm beginning to think it's the saddle at fault.

I'm a biggish fella at 6ft 1" and peak around 15st I looked at the specialized phenom due to it having abit more padding and the Fizik Antares.
What's your views ?

Comments

• simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    If you are interested in the Fizik range then use the app on their website that selects the most suitable one for you. If you are bigger (and therefore maybe less flexible) the Aliante may be a better bet. You can also borrow test saddles from Fizik dealers.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    For some people it's trial and error, others get lucky.

I currently have the OEM saddle on my Boardman, which is comfortable enough for the shorter rides I tend to do on it; a Bontrager for which I was fitted in a shop on my workhorse bike; and a Charge Spoon bought speculatively on my summer bike.

If you don't want to fork out a lot of money on something that might not suit you, the Spoon can be had for £20 or so and a lot of people swear by them. Toupes seem to be the saddle equivalent of Marmite.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Even riding position can make a difference. I love my SDG belair on my MTB. So much so I bought another when I got my road bike. It was awful.

Best bet is a good LBS, or buy and sell via ebay. You should be able to move saddles on for pretty much what you paid for them (less eBay fees).
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • bing gordon
    bing gordon Posts: 662
    OK thanks for all the advise , much appreciated. I think I will take on board whatyou say and see if I can pick up 1 or 2 2nd hand saddles cheap as possible and give them a go.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    I can recommend the Fizik Kurve Bull, it was just instantly comfortable for me. I'm a similar size to you, more of a sprinters build than mountain goat.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"