Not the time to be flying

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited August 2014 in The cake stop
http://news.sky.com/story/1306685/passenger-jet-carrying-116-vanishes-from-radar

I know that statistically it's probably still one of the safest forms of transport but it would still be on my mind if I was flying anywhere anytime soon :shock:
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Just try convincing the people around you at work that statistically speaking, cycling is safer than driving.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Bugger. I'm flying tomorrow.

The older I get, the better I was.

• arran77
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Bugger. I'm flying tomorrow.

It'll be fine, just don't think about it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Wigster
    Wigster Posts: 47
    Hmm, can't tell if this is out of "character", i.e more plane crashes than normal, or is it just that the media are jumping on every single one as they're such link bait at the moment?
    Cannondale Caad 8 Sora
    QuadLock iPhone 5 Mount / Garmin Edge 810 [HRM / Cadence]
    Swissstop Flash Pro Green Brakes
    2 x Cube Bottle Cages
    Pedals: SHIMANO R540 - Shoes: Shimano R088
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Good point... Probably not newsworthy if its just a bunch of foreigners... But if there is a brit involved
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    I didn't know there was a country called Burkina Faso, is it new? :oops:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn wrote:

According to my mate Big Nige, just next to Bongo Bongo land. :wink:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Oh man is the new UKIP world atlas out?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The world is changing and although many people sit in their nice homes thinking the world is calm, the reality is that at this moment in time, history has the potential to be tarnished with a war that will be talked about for millenniums.

Some may think thats over the top but whats happening right now, in out time is horrid, the death, destruction and terror being unleashed is equal to any in history. We talk about the horrid things that happened in WW2 in Poland but this figure has been eclipsed by the numbers being killed needlessly in modern times. Whole cities, people, countries are being wiped out.

Flying is a necessity for many so there is little to no other option but we will see more planes drop from the sky and if terror strikes continue in the aviation industry you will see massive losses globally with a depression of the like unseen since the human race developed.
    Living MY dream.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Cant stand flying anymore,i am cruising this year for the first time. :D
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • arran77
    symo wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Oh man is the new UKIP world atlas out?

He is a stokie :wink:

seanoconn
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Here's Tom with the weather.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    This mean Matthew isn't coming home?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I'm flying on Monday to Poland, we should be OK for that flight. Thank god I chose to drive through Europe though for my holidays!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I think we'll see a big drop in people holidaying in the Far East.

I know i wouldn't be comfortable flying over Ukraine, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. etc.

The whole flying thing is such a P I T A these days anyway, you might as well stay in Europe and drive. Plenty of nice places to see.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

I know i wouldn't be comfortable flying over Ukraine, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. etc.

The whole flying thing is such a P I T A these days anyway, you might as well stay in Europe and drive. Plenty of nice places to see.

Think you would be very safe flying over Afghan. The airspace security over it is tight. You have no idea how busy Camp Bastion airbase is. More flights a day than Heathrow at its peak.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148

Think you would be very safe flying over Afghan. The airspace security over it is tight. You have no idea how busy Camp Bastion airbase is. More flights a day than Heathrow at its peak.

I would imagine so. But presumably this is for a big corridor along a known flight path that arrives at Camp Bastion? I doubt they can secure the airspace over the whole country?

I don't know what routes airlines take over Afghanistan but presumably some will be flying over extremities far from Allied security.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    seanoconn wrote:

Used to be Upper Volta. These things are must-knows for anyone doing pub quizzes!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

I would imagine so. But presumably this is for a big corridor along a known flight path that arrives at Camp Bastion? I doubt they can secure the airspace over the whole country?

I don't know what routes airlines take over Afghanistan but presumably some will be flying over extremities far from Allied security.

Not just Bastion. We control Kandahar. Kabul, Bagram , plus loads more. I spent alot of time flying over it on tour and everywhere was extremely busy. Bordering countries like Pakistan and Iran are safe to fly over. Not sure why people consider Iran unsafe. They don't have paramilitary concerns and the state is not likely to go shooting down commercial aircraft.