Chain length with new cassette Q?

gaz047
gaz047 Posts: 601
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I'm replacing my 12-25 cassette with a 12-28. Do you need to lengthen the chain slightly for this kind of change? Or should I be ok for a straight swap?
Many thanks
Gaz
if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
Stick your 'rules' up your a%se

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless the chain is relatively new I'd normally fit a new chain with a new cassette to get the maximum life from it.

If you're happy to use the existing chain it depends on how short it currently is.

Minimum length is easily established by wrapping it round the biggest chainring and biggest sprocket but not through the rear mech, then add 2 complete links (2 inners + 2 outers)

I like to have my chain as short as possible.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    Thanks for the quick reply Keef. Should have mentioned new chain is coming with cassette. I'll give it a quick check with old chain, but if it's too short ill do the wrap with the new one
    Thanks again
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • keef66 wrote:

Then you can remove two links (1 inch) from your chain :D . If you use the "around the biggest cogs" method, it's two extra links (one inner link, one outer link) for an extra length of one inch. Park Tools agrees with me (see http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing - "Chain Sizing - Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

Then you can remove two links (1 inch) from your chain :D . If you use the "around the biggest cogs" method, it's two extra links (one inner link, one outer link) for an extra length of one inch. Park Tools agrees with me (see http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... gth-sizing - "Chain Sizing - Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method"

So I've just discovered over on the other chain sizing thread! :oops: