Thetford Winter Series 14/15

Storty
Storty Posts: 18
edited December 2014 in XC and Enduro
Hi all,
I'm considering entering for the next Winter Series at Thetford in the fun category. I'll be 41 and whilst not being grossly unfit I'm certainly no racing snake. And my bike is a 26 steel Inbred. Was just wondering if anyone has ridden this before as I don't want to be the only one not on a carbon 29er with legs like steel rope. I know it is the fun category but I've heard stories about these events being full of trophy hunters and the like and just wanted some real world perspective.

Cheers

Comments

• You'll get the full range from racing snake to first timer like yourself. Don't worry about it MTB riders are generally helpful supportive and fun. You'll be fine.
  • Storty
    Ok, great. Thanks for your reply. Everyone's got to start somewhere I suppose.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    I agree - you get all sorts. I rode last year on a basic HT cube and was surrounded by everything from fully rigid steelys to full suss zestys.

The fun category is no less competitive than the open cat in my experience so I enter the open to get more riding for my money!!
  • Storty
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I may well enter for the open cat then. I'm looking forward to it even though injury is preventing me from riding much at the moment. Plan is to get a little fitter, man up and accept that I may well be last and then try to improve in the next round. Oh yeah, and try to enjoy it! Look out for me at the back with the white On One and purple face.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    MTB racing is nothing like road racing. Road racing is filled with people with all the kit and super egos but I found MTB racing totally different. Much friendlier and everybody was prepared to chat. I turned up for my first race with lights on the bike and a bumbag carrying spare tubes and everything, total noob, but still even out on the course people were chatting to me!! And I came 11th so placed quite well lol

Turn up and have fun, you will find its not so nerve racking as you may think!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above just turn up and enjoy yourself, I have made some good friends through racing, no one cares what bike your on or what your wearing or what size and shape you are.
    I might do few rounds of this myself.
  • The Winter Series is good fun, and what else are you going to do from Nov-Feb? Ride CX? Nah, Thetford and the MTB for me!
  • Guys are you able to enter the series at any stage as away for series 1. Also is there camping
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Guys are you able to enter the series at any stage as away for series 1. Also is there camping

On the entry page you select which rounds you want to enter and which cat, there is no camping at Thetford/Brandon unless you have a camper van in which case there are plenty of places to just park up nearby as long as you don''t need a hookup.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    CX involves running with the bike - don't like running. The winter series race is the most fun you will have on a bike in the east this winter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Round 2 today was excellent anyone else of here did it. I was in the 4hr in a west suffolk wheelers jersey breathing lodly as normal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.