Wheels for around £150

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy a set of wheels to replace the soft and wearing wheels on my Triban 3. Not really wanting to put more than £150 quid into it as I am likely to be looking at a new bike next year. Any recommendations?

At the moment I'm most liking Shimano RS31 but purely for aesthetic reasons. What would get your money?

Comments

• thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Campag Khamsin or Vento
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Forget the aesthetics and get the Shimano R 501... in fact 2 pair of them with your budget
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Fulcrum Racing 7 - brilliant wheels and you'll definitely feel the difference. Don't forget that folding tyres will make a difference too. I think Wiggle still has a deal on some 7's with tyres for under your budget...
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    100% Planet X AL30's

Surprised how good they are coming from Fulcrum 5's , light, deep section and roll and roll.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    100% Planet X AL30's

Surprised how good they are coming from Fulcrum 5's , light, deep section and roll and roll.

But racing 5's are a more expensive lighter wheelset? How is that an upgrade?
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    lawrences wrote:
    100% Planet X AL30's

But racing 5's are a more expensive lighter wheelset? How is that an upgrade?

I know. I bought them as a stop-gap as my Racing 5 rims had badly worn. I was very surprised and pleased by how good they are for £150.

Fulcrum 5's are heavier when you factor in Shimano Hub Version and Skewers. Fulcrum definitely play a optimistic card when it comes to quoted factory weights too. My Fulcrums were heavier than the quoted weight which didn't include skewers and tape. The AL30's weight is all-in

They don't have a 30mm Aero profile like the AL30's or the larger bladed spokes. - My Racing 5's defiantly caused more rear break rub too and weren't as stiff. The Special spoke thing they have going on does sweet f-all IMO.

The Hubs on the Planet X wheels definitely roll smoother and longer than the Fulcrum Hubs did. It was the first thing I noticed. The rear hub is LOUD though. The wheels feel quick on the flat, but no different on the climbs in comparison.
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    Forget the aesthetics and get the Shimano R 501... in fact 2 pair of them with your budget

I'm looking at some wheels for a bike that I only ride a few times a year (stored away from home) so have similar question. Why are R501's as good as khamsins?
  • ugo.santalucia
    clazza wrote:

I'm looking at some wheels for a bike that I only ride a few times a year (stored away from home) so have similar question. Why are R501's as good as khamsins?

For the money they are both excellent wheelsets... they will get you 90% as fast as anything out there for 5-10% of the price, what's not to like? The 501 have pretty standard components that can be easily replaced...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went for the R501's with plain round spokes for the winter bike; £70 a pair from Ribble.

More spokes than the RS10's on the summer bike, and hopefully easier / cheaper to find a replacement spoke should I break one.
  • Macdory
    Macdory Posts: 113
    Couple of questions if I may:

Will the 501s be a good upgrade from the stock wheels on my Specialized Secteur (Alexrims S480)?

How easy is it to swap the rear cog over to the new wheel?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Macdory wrote:

Will the 501s be a good upgrade from the stock wheels on my Specialized Secteur (Alexrims S480)?

At 70 quid they are not an upgrade to anything... they are wheels and if you need a pair of wheels they will do the job... if you want an upgrade you have to budget a bit more than 70 quiz
  • Macdory
    Macdory wrote:

At 70 quid they are not an upgrade to anything... they are wheels and if you need a pair of wheels they will do the job... if you want an upgrade you have to budget a bit more than 70 quiz

Hmm, okay - how about http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... es-bundle/ ?
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    Macdory wrote:
    Macdory wrote:

Fulcrum 5's are cheaper here without the tubes (http://www.acycles.co.uk/fulcrum-racing ... 10384.html) but those tubes arn't worth £25. I've got some Fulcrum 5's on mine (2012 I think) and they've been great, no complaints after 4000 miles in all weather.
  • Macdory
    nigelgos wrote:
    Macdory wrote:
    Macdory wrote:

Fulcrum 5's are cheaper here without the tubes (http://www.acycles.co.uk/fulcrum-racing ... 10384.html) but those tubes arn't worth £25. I've got some Fulcrum 5's on mine (2012 I think) and they've been great, no complaints after 4000 miles in all weather.

Wiggle one includes Michelin Pro4 tyres as well as the tubes.

Will I notice much difference with these wheels from my current ones?
  • germcevoy
    I'm swaying towards Fulcrums so the next question is whether the 5's are worth the mark up over the 7's. I would go my budget by thirty quid or so if it was the case.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    Macdory wrote:
    Wiggle one includes Michelin Pro4 tyres as well as the tubes.

Will I notice much difference with these wheels from my current ones?

I didn't notice that, that makes them a good price. I think I paid £130 for my Fulcrum 5's after discount codes on top of a sale - you can always wait to get them at a better price. They made a difference to the stock Mavic wheels on my Specialized Allez. I'm no wheel expert but I did a bit of reading before buying and I'm still happy after 4000 all weather use.
    Germcevoy wrote:
    I'm swaying towards Fulcrums so the next question is whether the 5's are worth the mark up over the 7's. I would go my budget by thirty quid or so if it was the case.

The Fulcrum 7's would maybe suffice tbh.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Decathlon were doing Aksiums at a decent price.
  • Macdory
    A little over budget, but what about http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-scir ... 5360518133 ?
  • germcevoy
    I've went and ordered Fulcrum 7's. £108 from CRC.
  • pmoore2007
    pmoore2007 Posts: 30
    100% Planet X AL30's

Fulcrum 5's are pretty cheap on Merlin cycles have a look