Avid BB7_Road Disc Brakes

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

Wondering if you have any experience with my Disc Brakes on my new 2014 Roubaix.

Issue with the front disc, LBS said the disc was not true, so they changed it, this was after first demo ride, it was stuck. Now after purchase last Thursday, rear brake now sticking....

First road bike purchase since pre 2006, so not hot on up to date parts.

Maybe just an adjustment, but would like to hear if anyone has any experience with these brakes.

imagejpg4.jpg

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Loads of experience of BB7 - they have been the benchmark of mechanical disc brakes for many years (maybe being finally overtaken now) and I have them on my Volagi Liscio road disc bike for the last 3 years.

Do a search on YouTube for "Volagi BB7" - you should find Volagi's excellent set-up video. There are also some other Volagi videos on common problems and how to fix them. If you follow Volagi's set-up technique you will be in a good place. Maybe try going via Volagi's website too - www.volagi.com

Not sure precisely what you mean by "sticking" but it sounds like a cable issue if they are sticking on.

BTW - you're probably better off posting on Commuting Chat. With due respect to my fellow Roadies, they aren't quick on the uptake of "new" technology so you won't find many roadies using discs. Commuters, who use their bikes as tools in all weathers and want the best recognise that disc brakes are the best in most cases. You'll get far more help over there for mechanical disc brake issues.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    Hey meani...

Thanks for the advice on where to post, great help, and when you think about it, it makes sense :)

I watched a YouTube vid last evening and it was volagicycles, so already found him and yes, I have loosened off the pads, as seemed to be rubbing, so making my rides hard work. Will test the bike tomorrow evening now as shattered.

I had issue of pads rubbing and slowing the front wheel and then yesterday pads rubbing slowing down rear wheel, just wondering if my LBS know what they are doing!!!

I will subscribe to Volagicycles for future reference and thanks for advise, any other issues, I will chose my area to post as you suggested :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Yes, agree with MRS. Learn how to work on them yourself and how to set them up. I've not had mine as long, but they work very well and are not hard to set up once you've got the knack. Need occasional adjustment, as do all cable discs, but it only takes a few seconds. The main thing being they just work, well, in all weathers. Can be a bit squealy in the wet, but they still work.