Garmin Connect is *&%(($* rubbish

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
That is all.

Comments

• Wigster
    Wigster Posts: 47
    I used it for the first time tonight, worked a treat for me?
    Cannondale Caad 8 Sora
    QuadLock iPhone 5 Mount / Garmin Edge 810 [HRM / Cadence]
    Swissstop Flash Pro Green Brakes
    2 x Cube Bottle Cages
    Pedals: SHIMANO R540 - Shoes: Shimano R088
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Tried to create a simple course. Crashed everything and the whole of Garmin Connect not available. Used Strava's new course creation tool instead, which is only in Beta, and it worked a treat.

Seriously, I've been using Garmin for a few years now on and off, and it really is a crap experience.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - Connect is very poor and the new version is very slow. I really hope somebody will come up with serious competitor to Garmin because I get the sense that they've become "fat, dumb and happy"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes - Connect is very poor and the new version is very slow. I really hope somebody will come up with serious competitor to Garmin because I get the sense that they've become "fat, dumb and happy"

They already have but most people will only countenance a competitor to Garmin that has "Garmin" written on the box.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Their recent upgrade has been so pitiful that I'm seriously considering moving all my rides to Strava. It's only dealing with all the commutes (currently private, which I'd want to remain that way) that is stopping me.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:

They already have but most people will only countenance a competitor to Garmin that has "Garmin" written on the box.

That's a fair point but I don't think Mio or Bryton are there yet - they're just "me too" competitors. What we need is someone with disruptive technology (like Apple and Samsung did to the likes of Nokia/Sony Ericsson/Motorola) to reinvent the market. Garmin's development is just linear and their "ecosystem" (connect, express etc) is rubbish. Not only that but they're releasing products that are full of bugs and increasingly expensive.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    No problem with the new connect for uploading and looking at data. Then again I also use strava and veloviewer or whatever its called. I never create routes with anything made by garmin- ridewithgps is so much more superior.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

That's a fair point but I don't think Mio or Bryton are there yet - they're just "me too" competitors. What we need is someone with disruptive technology (like Apple and Samsung did to the likes of Nokia/Sony Ericsson/Motorola) to reinvent the market. Garmin's development is just linear and their "ecosystem" (connect, express etc) is rubbish. Not only that but they're releasing products that are full of bugs and increasingly expensive.

They are a bit - but on the other hand, they mostly do what they need to do perfectly adequately and for less money. The only thing I wish they'd put more effort into is battery life which always seems inadequate when navigation is switched on.

But I'm not into gadgets anyway so I'm not exactly a discerning customer for this sort of stuff!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    At the moment garmin connect is mildly better than strava for Off-road routes, since it uses open source maps though that only really works for areas like the Surrey Hills, back in the quiet hills of wales it's patchy.

But strava is now useable off road though gives no indication of rights of way mind you neither does garmin terribly well.

The garmins I've seen have good hardware but their software is something out of a 80's Casio watch.

They really need someone to give them a shock.
  • meanredspider
    They really need someone to give them a shock.

That's exactly it! As I said, they're Fat, Dumb and Happy. Strava have forced the to (try) to up their game relative to segments etc but the devices (firmware/software) are shabby
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I've got one of the CatEye GPS computers. You folk don't know utter tosh until you've used their hardware and software.

Now rely on an old iPhone for recording straight to Strava. It's just a shame about the battery life.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The Sync plugin is way better, but I don't use anything else in Garmin Connect anymore.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    The most frustrating thing for me when trying to plan routes through Garmin Connect is how small the map view is. The older version is much better in this regard.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have been using Garmin Connect for the last 3 years and while it was a bit clunky, it had some great features and worked well. Planning on-road routes worked fine but others like RideWithGPS were better - Garmin Connect was good enough for most things though. Off-road route planning wasnt really possible, so used RideWithGPS or BikeHike for that. I use their goals as a huge part of my motivation to keep getting the miles in on a monthly and annual basis and love exploring an area for rides that other people have done - proper rides, not just segments...

The new thing is total trash - half the things dont work on the dashboard, the other half are not as good as on the old dashboard. Looks modern but I have gone back to classic and just hope they dont disable this any time soon. The new look also doesnt allow you to use all of your screen for route planning etc, like the classic mode does.

My fear that Classic will dissappear and horror at the new Garmin Connect forced me to look at Strava and to be honest, that is worse - the interface places the various different options in different places and it is really hard to understand where or how to access things, doesnt have many of the features I want and I dont care about comparing myself with others - just want to measure my progress against myself on whole rides, not silly segments.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    if you have an iphone this looks pretty good

http://road.cc/content/review/123319-wa ... e-computer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    if you have an iphone this looks pretty good

http://road.cc/content/review/123319-wa ... e-computer

Ooh - interesting - I wonder when/if DC Rainmaker is going to review it. It's something kinda like this that I hope someone with some money behind them will develop to beat Garmin up with.