Tyres and tubes

Simbo_RFC
Simbo_RFC Posts: 20
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Ok guys, newbie question.i have a boardman comp,hardtail, bog standard.
Last night I changed the tyres from 2.1 continental speed kings running 1.75-2.5 tubes which were on the bike when I got it. I put on 2.3 folding continental speed kings, I was running one continental tube 1.75-2.5, I also bought new tubes, they were halfords own brand (cheap) which were 2.1-2.5, which I was running in one wheel. Went up carron valley tonight and next thing I know I'm getting punctures galore, everytime I hit a rock, I had the tyres blown up quite hard as when they were softer it felt like the sidewalls felt like they were folding over when I was cornering. my question is
Are the tubes/tyres crap?
Tubes correct size??
What kinda pressure should I be running in them?
Any other advice????

Thanks

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Are you using STD Conti or the Chilly ones, I have used the STD and found them to be rubbish on the puncture front.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If there is a puncture and no hole in the tyre, it's the tube (unless they are pinch flats), if there is a hole in the tyre, it's the tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Simbo_RFC
    They are just standard tyres as far as I know, I never checked the tyres for holes tbh. What tubes would you recommend for this tyre size?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Tube sounds the right size.

If you get a puncture - do you not try and find the cause of the puncture while repairing it? remove tube, note orientation to wheel/tyre as you take it out, blow it up and look for cause - snake bite, damage at valve, single puncture etc - if I see the distinct snake bite look I know I just square edged something, if I see a single puncture maybe in the kind of ground contact area I definitely look at the tyre for a thorn or nail or whatever.

I slashed the sidewall of a brand new tyre on a rock, blew the tube where it prolapsed out of the offending hole. Tyre repaired with duct tape and currently still in service on the hardtail!

no point blaming the tubes if there is a nail in your tyre or a hole in the sidewall.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Simbo_RFC
    Sorry, I don't really understand the terms you are using, what's a snake bite? If you square edge something what have you done? I didn't check the tyre tbh, I just whipped the tube out and replaced it.
    I basically felt the tyre hitting a stone or something compressing and hitting the rim, next thing I had a flat tyre.
    The thing that made me write this is Iv hammered over the same trails a good few times before on the old tubes and tyres and never had a puncture before, so was wondering if Iv maybe bought tubes that are to cheap or crappy tyres.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a snakebite - normally the rim cuts two holes on opposite sides of the tube.
    Either the tyre was too soft, or just bad luck.
    Generally nothing to do with the tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Simbo_RFC
    Ok, thanks for the input.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A snakebite will show as two holes in your skin, one from the upper and one from the lower front teeth.

If you hit a square edge (like riding up a kerb for example) or rock hard enough the tyre can collapse and a section of tube be pinched by the tyre from the impact, this will often show as two holes (on on each side of the pinch) and hence the 'snakebite' name - although not always.

From your description it was very likley a snakebite as you pinched the tube when you hit that rock.

You can get very thick (and very heavy) 'downhil'l tubes that are less prone to 'pinch flats' (the other common name for them) but to be honest I'd rather just add a bit more air (or better still magically ride better) to stop it pinching.

Tubeless of course cannot suffer from pinchflats as you have no tube!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.