iPhone 5

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited August 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone own/had one and had the random shutting down problem ?

If so have you managed to fix it ?

My 5C that I got yesterday is randomly shutting down (apparently its a known problem ) as I found out today. Something to do with IOS 7 ?

I have a new replacement coming dont wNt the same issue.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The iphone5 is a poor cell phone, it isn't in the same league as many others out their but as with most, I have one simply because I'm in the family of apple and get sucked in :)
    Living MY dream.
  • upperoilcan
    VTech wrote:
    I have one simply because I'm in the family of apple and get sucked in :)

I'm starting to think this way mate ! If the next one starts playing up then my love affair with Apple will be well and truly over !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    There is a trick you can try - hold the round button under the screen and the on/off button for about 10 seconds.

Sometimes that will 'reset' the phone.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Another trick but possibly too late for you, is to always buy the "S" version.

Any bugs are sorted out by then.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • upperoilcan
    Thanks guys,ive tried the reset to no avail.

Apparently the "S" version also has the same problems,from what ive read it all seems to relate to the latest IOS version.

Its a pain in the ass !! :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    There is another fix for this, just don't get sucked into to the Apple hype in the first place :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    arran77 wrote:
    There is another fix for this, just don't get sucked into to the Apple hype in the first place :wink:

This...Android here and occasionally runing Android via bluestacks on my PC (not an Apple MAC obviously). Now if only I could run an Android emulator on my Chromebook :P
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Thanks guys,ive tried the reset to no avail.

Apparently the "S" version also has the same problems,from what ive read it all seems to relate to the latest IOS version.

Its a pain in the ass !! :D
    Hmmmm.

I am still on a 4s with the latest IOS and have had zero problems.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • upperoilcan
    I too had an iPhone 4 which also had no problems at all....

Further investigations are leading to a dodgy batch of phones with crap battery's,although diagnostic checks by Apple showed nothing wrong !?!?

Its shut itself down at least 5-6 times today
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I think the best idea is to buy a real phone in the first place, not an Apple toy phone.

I left Apple long when I realised they lacked functionality, were vastly overpriced with extremely poor warranty and had recurring issues.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Meh, I moved from Samsung Galaxies to the 5s.

Not enough between them to have an opinion either way. You get used to the 5s smaller screen fairly quickly. and generally it crashes a lot less than my galaxies did.

Music and media is generally easier to use on the iPhone.

Battery is an issue, slightly better than the galaxies but you can't replace it.

But then my 5s is paid for and my galaxy wasn't, so i'm happy enough.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I agree with Rick, the 5 is superb and really is bomb proof and for my business I need reliability, if I am away with out charging then I grab a USB charger.

I will upgrade to the 6 when it comes out as the integration with my PC and iPad and Apple TV is seamless.
  • MountainMonster
    Velonutter wrote:
    I agree with Rick, the 5 is superb and really is bomb proof and for my business I need reliability, if I am away with out charging then I grab a USB charger.

I will upgrade to the 6 when it comes out as the integration with my PC and iPad and Apple TV is seamless.

Call me a bit slow, but how is the unique charger for the 5 a benefit? It is much more practical being able to use a mini-usb charger that is extremely widely available, and more importantly, extremely inexpensive.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

Call me a bit slow, but how is the unique charger for the 5 a benefit? It is much more practical being able to use a mini-usb charger that is extremely widely available, and more importantly, extremely inexpensive.

Sorry your getting confused, I didn't mention a unique charger, just a USB charger that I bought from China, it's small, fits in my pocket and will fully recharge in a bout an hour and you can use it and use your phone at the same time.

I use the same charger for my Garmin and other portable devices.
  • MountainMonster
    Velonutter wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Sorry your getting confused, I didn't mention a unique charger, just a USB charger that I bought from China, it's small, fits in my pocket and will fully recharge in a bout an hour and you can use it and use your phone at the same time.

I use the same charger for my Garmin and other portable devices.

Oh ok, I wasn're sure if I was going in the right direction with that. Is it basically a portable battery charger?
  • Velonutter
    Yep
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    The issue with the shutting down is actually an issue with the battery.

I had similar issues with my 5 that started after about 6 months. It was only after about 15 months that apple acknowledged the issue but by then it was outside of the pathetic 1 year warranty and they wanted to charge me £80 to replace the battery.

I ended up buying a new battery and kit from amazon and did it myself which resolved the issue for a total cost of £12.99.

However now the button on the front is starting to fail and their is a problem with the headphone jack. I still have another 3 months before i can upgrade but when i do it will be bye bye to Apple
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I am happy enough with my iPhone 4. The rest of the family have the newer models and I just get the hand me downs.

I would be happy to try another type of phone but I've no idea how to transfer my iTunes music. Or is there another way?
  • upperoilcan
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    The issue with the shutting down is actually an issue with the battery.

I had similar issues with my 5 that started after about 6 months. It was only after about 15 months that apple acknowledged the issue but by then it was outside of the pathetic 1 year warranty and they wanted to charge me £80 to replace the battery.

I ended up buying a new battery and kit from amazon and did it myself which resolved the issue for a total cost of £12.99.

However now the button on the front is starting to fail and their is a problem with the headphone jack. I still have another 3 months before i can upgrade but when i do it will be bye bye to Apple

Ive read about this and thanks,I sent back the 1st iPhone and had a replacement sent to me and its been faultless,however nothing from Apple diagnostics as they say nothing was coming up when they tested it !?!
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I have this problem turns off and when I try to turn back on it's saying it needs to be charged I leave it 5 mins and it turns on with 20 ...50 or so percent charge.... I'm at the end of my contract in a week so im in the dilemma of going to the 5s or holding out For the 6 that is probably riddled with faults
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I have a 5s and it's cr4p. We actually have 9 of them for family and staff and they are all as bad. I love apple and really want to love the phone but it's a bad unit. Overpriced and under equipped.

I know people think of the MacBooks as over priced but they are great value considering they last many years and can hold a charge for 5-7 hours and have stunning power and features so why on earth can't they make a decent phone.
    Living MY dream.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have an Iphone 5s and love it. I have had it about a year now. I had the shutting down all the time problem when I first got it but a quick google suggested if was caused by the finger print recognition. I shopped using that feature and no more shutting down. However, I understand this was subsequently fixed in later issue of IOS and now I use it all the time and still have not problems.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks