Newbie - 4 bikes to consider

amk515
amk515 Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm new to cycling and looking to purchase a new bike via the Ride-to-Work scheme and was looking for some input. I went into Evans Cycles to have a look and was able to see 2 bikes and another 2 online. The bikes are:

Specialized Allez C2 2014 - £600
Felt F95 2014 - £599
Norco Valence A2 2014 - £640
Fuji Sportif 1.5 2014 - £650

I've been told the Specialized has Claris groupset, the Fuji and Felt have Sora and the Norco has Tiagra. The other thing I noticed was the Fuji has mechanical discs whereas the others have rim brakes.

I have no idea what bike I should get and I wasn't really given much explanation as to why one is better than the others (not sure if anyone else can?).

I will be commuting as well as riding with friends in my spare time but would also like to set myself a few challenges whilst trying to get back into shape. I'm aiming to attempt the Manchester to Blackpool ride next year.

If anyone can offer me some advise on the bikes above it would be much appreciated as I have no idea where to start.

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    You need to ride your short list and not make a decision based on either reviews or looks. Even at this price range they will all feel and ride differently so don't fall into the trap of buying via a spreadsheet comparison.

Each of the groupsets you mention are good provided they are set up well and as for discs, I wouldn't get too hung up on them at this stage as whatever bike you buy, you'll be looking to either upgrade within 12-18 months, or sell it as 'hardly ridden' in the same timescale!

Not sure if you are committed to just Evans but on the Cycle to Work scheme you should be able to shop around which may give you more choice. Either way, don't overthink it....there's plenty of time for that when you upgrade!
  • amk515
    SoSimple wrote:
    You need to ride your short list and not make a decision based on either reviews or looks. Even at this price range they will all feel and ride differently so don't fall into the trap of buying via a spreadsheet comparison.

Each of the groupsets you mention are good provided they are set up well and as for discs, I wouldn't get too hung up on them at this stage as whatever bike you buy, you'll be looking to either upgrade within 12-18 months, or sell it as 'hardly ridden' in the same timescale!

Not sure if you are committed to just Evans but on the Cycle to Work scheme you should be able to shop around which may give you more choice. Either way, don't overthink it....there's plenty of time for that when you upgrade!

I have to admit I've been overthinking it all. I've been told disc brakes are best but that rim brakes are just as good and easily replaceable. I've been told that the Norco is better value compared to any of the others due to spec but then I've been told that the Specialized would be best. I've rode both the Norco and Fuji and found that I preferred the Fuji but I haven't been able to try the other two. It's all quite confusing as I don't want to end up with something that I don't like and won't want to ride.

I don't have a choice of places to buy, the Ride-to-Work scheme with my employer is specifically with Evans.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    By the way if the Felt is a consideration, Wiggle currently have the 2014 F85 (Tiagra) available for £599.

Sorry - just realised you are tied to Evans for RTW scheme.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I wouldn't worry, we all overthink it as it's part of the fun!

You probably won't go to far wrong with any of the bikes you mention, although from a quick look on their website, there's a few others you may wish to consider in that price range including the Trek and Scott.

The main points to consider are (to reiterate) don't buy without riding it first as it could make or break whether you stick at it or give up after a couple of months. Secondly, make sure you get the right sized bike rather than what's available in the brand/colour you like and finally, get it as soon as you can to get some miles in while the weather is perfect!
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    One thing I would say, if you haven't ridden for many years and you get on any of these bikes they will all feel pretty good!!! IMO, it's the second bike that you buy (you will), that will take more consideration!! :D
  • amk515
    [/quote]
    One thing I would say, if you haven't ridden for many years and you get on any of these bikes they will all feel pretty good!!! IMO, it's the second bike that you buy (you will), that will take more consideration!! :D

That's definitely true!! I couldn't believe the weight of them :shock:
    SoSimple wrote:
    I wouldn't worry, we all overthink it as it's part of the fun!

You probably won't go to far wrong with any of the bikes you mention, although from a quick look on their website, there's a few others you may wish to consider in that price range including the Trek and Scott.

The main points to consider are (to reiterate) don't buy without riding it first as it could make or break whether you stick at it or give up after a couple of months. Secondly, make sure you get the right sized bike rather than what's available in the brand/colour you like and finally, get it as soon as you can to get some miles in while the weather is perfect!

Well I liked the disc brakes of the Fuji and the ride was good but I'm not the biggest fan of the colour. I didn't get chance to try the Specialized Allez C2 as they didn't have any to try and I couldn't even look at one as they have an agreement with another shop in town not to have these on display even though you can purchase them.

The Norco Valence A2 certainly looks similar to the Allez but has the Tiagra groupset over the Claris on the Allez. What's the real difference between Claris and Tiagra? I've only been told that Tiagra is better but without much explanation (which may explain why the Norco was originally £800).

I'm definitely leaning more towards the Norco at this point and would really like to have one ordered by the weekend. I'm really wanting to get out riding now especially with the weather as it is at the moment.