Bike vs Family vs Job

2»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one!

Commuting was an option when I worked a handy 16 miles away, but now it's an hour's train ride so that's out. I think those who posted a "couple of rides in the week when I can fit them in" plus the Sunday early morning ride sounds like a solution - often go out on a Sunday AM anyway, just need to drag my ar53 up earlier.

It was also interesting to note that some eg #saprkzz get moody if they don't get some miles in - my missus will sometimes ask me if I need to go for a ride, which is a sure sign I'm being unbearable!!!!

I'm totally in agreement with spending time with the family, but if you're miserable...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Im convinced that for many of us, myself included, cycling can turn into an obsessive and compulsive thing. I need to go out and do a 50/60/70/80 miler and even that wont be enough and ive got to do a century and then a quicker century, plus ive got to complete those strava challenges, then ive got to do ride london, then ive got to do london paris and i really must do lejog and then there is that training camp in majorca and a few really really hilly sportives and then there are the classic climbs and of course there has to be a round the world bike ride. And ive got to do mileage today because my mates have and i need to be top of the leaderboard and get some KOMs and i really need a PR up my own front drive.

On the other hand there was the guy who i was chatting to on a sportive last year who was addicted to work, fags, booze and junk food, didnt do exercise, had time for his kids but was too knackered to have quality time. Then he had a heart attack and realised that unless he changed his life he was never going to see his kids grow up so he took up cycling.

I suspect that the balance between bike, family and job lies somewhere between those two extremes...
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    edited July 2014
    Commuting is 90% of cycling for me. I think these people that can run 100 miles every week are either single, the kids are grown up or have very very understanding (probably up to no good - joke) other half.

The set times looks to be the best bet though.

6pm to 7.30pm and maybe an early weekend 7am to 10am ride. From last summer I was going out from 6.30pm ish until dark every Saturday.

Problem is now with the kids activities coming back in September is Saturday and Sunday mornings are out.
  • mattyarse
    mattyarse Posts: 65
    Interesting that lots of others face the same challenge to fit everything in.

My way is similar to some others, up at 5.45 three mornings a week to do a quick 11 mile loop, and then up at 5.15 on a Saturday to do a 50 miler.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Do the folk that get up early or commute to get their miles in - race or is this purely a fitness/pleasure thing?
    If you're not competing in a competitive environment what's the point to it?
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Bozman wrote:
    Do the folk that get up early or commute to get their miles in - race or is this purely a fitness/pleasure thing?

I feel like my life is one big timetable.

Up at 6.15am Monday to get to work at 7.30am
    Drop the kids off at school at 9am Tues,Wed Thurs to get into work by 9.30am - Leave at 5pm Tuesday to get back for lads Football training at 7pm
    Up at 6.15am Friday to get to work at 7.30am
    Need to fit in the minimum 37.5 hours in at work too.
    Saturday mornings If I can get out of bed need to be home for 10.30am when wife takes youngest to horse riding.
    Sunday morning - Lads football usually at 10am. Means leaving the house at 9am-9.30am depending where it is.

With the nice weather on the Early starts I'll leave work at 4pm ish on Monday and Friday for an hour commute home (Takes about 30 mins normally)

Last few Saturdays have been taken with family stuff so must admit I probably have been out twice in 6 weekends on the bike.
    Did book a day off to do a days cycling while wife was at work and kids were at school though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bozman wrote:
    A couple of single guys who race 'a lot' are getting married autumn this year.. I really dont think they have any inkling as to what is goingto hit them come the season in 2015...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Downward wrote:

I know exactly what you mean :(.

6.30am get up, in the shower.
    6.40am Make breakfast.
    6.50am Watch Freya (3 year old girl) while my wife has a shower / gets up / bath the child
    7.10am Sort out my work clothes and other random stuff
    7.30am Drive to work
    8.30am Start work
    10.30am Morning break 1 mile walk
    1.00pm Lunch break 3 mile walk
    3.30pm Afternoon break 1 mile walk
    5.00pm Drive home
    5.50pm Arrive home
    6.00pm Dinner
    7.00pm Freya bedtime
    7.15pm Sit down watch TV
    9.30pm Bed

Sometimes I try to fit half an hours cycling in but it's not simple.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    JGSI wrote:
    FYI commuting is not cycling it is just getting to place where you wish you wernt going to and usually getting pis5 wet thru and cold at the same time.

Not sure I agree with this. I cycle 26 miles a day on my commute between Bath and Bristol, some times more depending on route. Don't take a bag or laptop or anything, no panniers, I use my best bike. I can choose hilly routes in pretty much any direction and often go up an over rather than the straight quick route, can detour into the Mendips, hills round Bath, whatever. Strava says I have ridden 550 miles this month so far, majority of that has been 'commuting'.I have first baby coming in 2 months so opportunity for extra curricular riding is going to be limited but hopefully will stll get some decent miles in to/from work.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    jotko wrote:
    I cycle 26 miles a day on my commute between Bath and Bristol, some times more depending on route. Don't take a bag or laptop or anything, no panniers, I use my best bike. I can choose hilly routes in pretty much any direction and often go up an over rather than the straight quick route, can detour into the Mendips, hills round Bath, whatever. Strava says I have ridden 550 miles this month so far, majority of that has been 'commuting'.

It was all going so well, and then...
    jotko wrote:
    I have first baby coming in 2 months so opportunity for extra curricular riding is going to be limited but hopefully will stll get some decent miles in to/from work.

...that's f**ked it, then... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • markhewitt1978
    haha you'd better believe it! I thought I was pushed for time before my daughter came along - I knew nothing! Only now; three years later are things starting to ease up a little.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    jotko wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    FYI commuting is not cycling it is just getting to place where you wish you wernt going to and usually getting pis5 wet thru and cold at the same time.

Not sure I agree with this. I cycle 26 miles a day on my commute between Bath and Bristol, some times more depending on route. Don't take a bag or laptop or anything, no panniers, I use my best bike. I can choose hilly routes in pretty much any direction and often go up an over rather than the straight quick route, can detour into the Mendips, hills round Bath, whatever. Strava says I have ridden 550 miles this month so far, majority of that has been 'commuting'.I have first baby coming in 2 months so opportunity for extra curricular riding is going to be limited but hopefully will stll get some decent miles in to/from work.

I dont agree with JGSI at all...and my commute is about a scenic as a rubbish tip in comparision to yours :)

But I still enjoy it, rain is fine, keeps me fit/healthy and I'm as obsessed about cycling as many fairweather 'proper cyclist' weekend warriors are :)
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    SecretSam wrote:
    jotko wrote:
    I have first baby coming in 2 months so opportunity for extra curricular riding is going to be limited but hopefully will stll get some decent miles in to/from work.

...that's f**ked it, then... :lol:

Ha ha, quite, although I still have got to get to work somehow. Cycling 26 miles after 1hrs sleep doesn't quite sound as glamorous :lol:
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    SecretSam wrote:
    How do you solve this conundrum? I love riding my bike, it makes me a happier SecretSam - even the missus agrees

But fitting it in around young kids, new (old) house and a demanding job - how the hell do you manage to do that?

Any tips???

How old are your kids? I tow mine around in a Croozer (other brands are available) behind my road bike. Good for strength and base training
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    A lot of the comments here are ringing true with me, in the bike v family side of things

I started cycling last year when I got my road bike, didn't expect to get as into it as I have done, started commuting then out for longer weekend rides - last year I did 5000 miles and was relatively straightforward with 1 child as I'd be able to get out on a sunday morning, my partner would do her own thing and then we'd have time as a family.

This year we've moved house, partner pregnant and now have a 2 month old girl - my commuting miles have increased as further away and better route options, still have nursery drop off 3 days a week but I aim to do 100 commuting miles a week and that's fairly easy to do - as it Leeds there is a fair amount of climbing in that, I've found myself taking 30mins lunch to leave a bit earlier to fit things in, as it stands I'm on track for 6000 miles this year and will aim for that.

But what has definitely reduced this year is longer weekend rides, its just not been possible as much compared to last year, it does frustrate me as I enviously look at at people going out for 60miles+ on a sunday morning - but then I'll enjoy even being able to get out for an hour or two. However on the flipside, I'm incredibly lucky to have 2 children, its just working out how to get that balance :-)
  • markhewitt1978
    It's 35 miles each way to work for me. I'd be quite prepared to do that in the morning, but not in the evening (I'm definitely not an evening person!). So if I could cycle down and then put my bike in the car and drive home - I'd be happy! As yet there hasn't been an invention to get my car here without me (or someone) driving it here.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    The guys who I find strangest are those who blatantly put riding their bike above all else; the guys who are putting in a minimum 15 hours per week, week on week. The same guys who have a full time job and apparently a family they "care" about.....

Funny thing; from my own experience chatting to these types of cyclists I've noticed a significant number of them are likely to have broken family lives (i.e. kids with split parents). I guess because they're not as committed to their real life and more interested in beating silly PB's / other cyclists (Strava) riding a bike.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Which is kind of what i was saying. There is a danger which i recognise in myself of cycling (or golf or running or anything) of becoming obsessive and all consuming. I generally do 12 to 15 a week but ive semi retired and only work a couple of days a week, missus works fulltime and kids are no longer dependent. So for me 15 max out of 168 is not excessive. Most of the local guys i know are pretty committed to their families and because they are fitter and stronger are able to contribute more. The ones who go out with a couple of mates all day and do massive mileages dont seem to be in relationships or have kids. So good luck to them.

Its easy in my opinion to make generalisations or critically look at other peoples lifestyles but i prefer not to do it. Whats that bible quote about looking for a speck in your brothers eye when you have a plank in your own?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Downward wrote:

I know exactly what you mean :(.

6.30am get up, in the shower.
    6.40am Make breakfast.
    6.50am Watch Freya (3 year old girl) while my wife has a shower / gets up / bath the child
    7.10am Sort out my work clothes and other random stuff
    7.30am Drive to work
    8.30am Start work
    10.30am Morning break 1 mile walk
    1.00pm Lunch break 3 mile walk
    3.30pm Afternoon break 1 mile walk
    5.00pm Drive home
    5.50pm Arrive home
    6.00pm Dinner
    7.00pm Freya bedtime
    7.15pm Sit down watch TV
    9.30pm Bed

Sometimes I try to fit half an hours cycling in but it's not simple.
    5.15 am alarm goes off
    5.45 am out the door 10 mile commute
    6.30 am at work pre work cuppa
    6.45 am pre shift checks
    7.15 am start work
    5 pm finish work
    5.15 pm 10 mile commute
    6 pm - shower etc
    6.30 ish tea
    7 pm wash pots , play with kids
    8 - 8 30 pm get kids in bed
    9 pm maybe a quick strength set ( press up s, pull ups , etc ) or a bit of cycle forum
    10 pm bed

Weekend ....
    wife works saturday so i have the kids
    sunday wife has a lie in so 90 % of the time she does not surface till i should have already gone out the door for a club run so thatsout the window as we have 2 young kids and i have to go round my mums a couple of times a week to see if she is ok .
    Might get a 25-30 hour and a half spin if im lucky !
    FCN 3/5/9
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    The guys who I find strangest are those who blatantly put riding their bike above all else; the guys who are putting in a minimum 15 hours per week, week on week. The same guys who have a full time job and apparently a family they "care" about.....

Funny thing; from my own experience chatting to these types of cyclists I've noticed a significant number of them are likely to have broken family lives (i.e. kids with split parents). I guess because they're not as committed to their real life and more interested in beating silly PB's / other cyclists (Strava) riding a bike.

I've been thinking about this comment a lot. I do the commute thing, leaving early once a week to get a few more miles in. I also grab 2-3 hours on a Sunday with one Sunday in 5 or 6 being a longer 3-4+ hour ride so in total I'm probably up to 10+ hours per week. But the reason I take this time is that without the bike, I'd be looking at an early death. Stressful job and being overweight don't go together so having the bike to help me lose weight and get a lot fitter means that in the long run, I'm going to be around for the family for longer. Which is important to me as my sons are 6 and 2 and my wife is 13 years my junior (I'm 45). I really don't want to disappear too soon!