fork conversion or buy different forks ? help please

creaven
creaven Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
i recently purchased a set of sun tour forks for an older bike i use for the non demanding i dont want to get my other bike dirty. its an old dimond back frame with a quill stem forks . here is where i went wrong . the forks i got are 1" the head is and 1"1/8 yes i did measure wrong :oops: :oops: for all of you lauging right now .. laugh away as i have my head in my hands in shame as well . :oops: :oops:
the place i bought these forks from seem to have them forks in the 1" 1/8 but i was wondering would it be cheaper to ship the forks back and pay for the different forks to be shipped back to me with the right steerer size . or get a stem shin to make the forks to 1" 1/8 . the other question is would i then have to change my head set and the cown race to fit the adapted forks .( as the one on fitted is perfectly fine ) im a little stuck here as to what to do .

Comments

• ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Send em back with an apology and some harribos, explain your mistake and get the right size, has to be the cheapest/best option.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it's a quill stem you'll need a threaded steerer - and they are rare nowadays (at least on decent forks).
  • creaven
    creaven Posts: 3
    i have just checked with where i bought the forks and they dont have the 1" 1/8 size of these forks ..
    supersonic i have the forks i managed to find some suntour 1" threaded but now goes the part for converting them upto the 1" 1/8 is this right
    forks going on are 1" so to make them fit the 1" 1/8 size am i right with the following
    1x shin adaptor
    1" threaded head set to fit the 1" thread on the new forks .
    and a new crown race for the bottom of the forks if pictures will help let me know and ill pop some up thanks alot guys . every one i spoke to has no idea about old quill systems . on goes the mission to adapt these tho as i doubt i will get forks like these again fork this bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think we need to start from the beginning - what frame exactly? Pictures would be good!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can easily convert from threaded to threadless using new headset, forks and stem (plus spacers and top cap)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.