Helmets

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Just got back into riding after a 4.5 year break.

My old Specialized helmet, and my wife's Giro were both manufactured 2008 - so six years old. They both look OK though.

I have found a lot of contrasting info on whether this is OK or not. So I thinking it is probably best to be safe than sorry - and get two new ones.

Which lids would you recommend for road/XC use? CRC have a 20% off sale at the moment, and spotted the MET Veleno, which looks pretty good.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Age isn't such a big deal, more how much they've been used. I decided to get a new lid after mine was only a couple of years old, but I had used it a lot and crashed in it a lot (though not really directly on it). Just use your best judgement.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    As long as they haven't been left in the sun I would imagine they'd be fine.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I would buy new helmets. Let's face it, you deserve new things occasionally!

I also have a Met Veleno helmet, it's the second one that I've owned and I find it comfortable. The only negative comment I have is that when I take it off my hair has taken on the style of that bloke from The Prodigy...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • marcus'73
    marcus'73 Posts: 41
    I thought it was recommended that you replace a helmet after three years or when it takes a decent hit?
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Batmo wrote:
    I would buy new helmets. Let's face it, you deserve new things occasionally!

I also have a Met Veleno helmet, it's the second one that I've owned and I find it comfortable. The only negative comment I have is that when I take it off my hair has taken on the style of that bloke from The Prodigy...

Thats a plus surely?

Yeah I think we will end up buying new ones, I did take a tumble in mine at one point, but luckily it didn't take a bruising, my body took that instead...

We've only just started cycling again, and I have already bought a new shorter stem, new brakes, at least I can use the "safety" aspect as a get out of jail free card!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    We've only just started cycling again, and I have already bought a new shorter stem, new brakes, at least I can use the "safety" aspect as a get out of jail free card!
    That was my excuse when I decided to buy a new lid ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I was going to suggest that you should probably replace your lids at that age, then started thinking about how old mine is and it might be around the same era or older.....so perhaps I should too!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.