Tyres- Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Michelin Pro4 Service Course

small_bloke
small_bloke Posts: 222
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at the following tyres for general summer club runs. Not winter as they are probably too thin.

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

Michelin Pro 4 Service Course.

I noticed there's also a V-guard option in the Ultremo's (extra protection I think)

Ridden the Ultremo ZX for a couple of years. Nice fast tyres and very comfortable. Do get cuts in them though.

Both tyres are similar price and weight.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ultrem ... road-tyre/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-s ... road-tyre/

Anybody ridden both?
Are Michelin Pro-4 Service Course any better. E.g comfort, speed, cuts, punctures?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I had the Ultremo R1 (I think that's what they were called) and currently run the Michelin Pro4 SC. They are very similar in feel, noise and wear. I like the pro4's and see no reason to change. Get the ones that are cheapest or have the size/colour you like
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I've been running Pro4 SC on my bike for about 1,000 miles before having my first p******e, and that was from a really obnoxious shard of glass. Nice ride, good grip. Also, I previously had a pair of Pro3 Race on all over winter, at least 2000+ miles without a single flat, so even for winter use I'd say they're pretty good. Ironically, the ones I like least for winter use is the "Endurance" version. Maybe it's my imagination but they seem more slippery than the other versions (not good up wet hills), possibly due to harder compound?

Anyway, Pro4 SC: recommended.
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    By the way, I already have some Michelin Pro-3 and they are rock hard at 100 psi. A lot more uncomfortable than my Ultremo's.

If the Pro-4 are similar in feel to Pro-3 (i.e a hard ride\) then I might pass on them.

Does anybody know if Michelin Pro-4 Service Course are a similar riding feel to Mich Pro-3? Or are the Pro-4 a lot more comfortable?
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Rode Ultremo back end of the summer through the winter, really like them but like you say they cut up quite a bit. Have switched to 'Ones' for the summer and they're way better, grippier, they're claimed to have less rolling resistance which I wouldn't disagree with and they're much more resistant to cuts.