What bike lock?

TheUKProphet
TheUKProphet Posts: 11
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I need a new lock but am after recommendations.
I need something that is able to lock both mine and my sons bike when we are out and about.

It's the age old, go for something good as a lock but weighs a ton or go for something light but doesn't do as good of a job.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    HI,

Just had this decision myself, after doing some research and looking at reviews, decided that I needed something good enough to withstand the attempts of opportunists and casual thieves, as a pro thief will steal the bike anyway - my bikes hardly worth much compared to some, so I wanted a lock substantial enough to make a pro thief consider that the risk/effort was too much for the value of the bike.

Ended up buying a Kryptonite D-Lock with additional steel cable for the wheel for about £40, the lock itself mounts to the frame and the cable sits in the saddle bag so it doesn't get in the way.

The problem with cheap combination chain locks is a quick firm smack with a hammer and its all over.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get an Alsation, weight doesn't matter as it is self propelled and will stand a chance of you keeping your bikes.

Otherwise the only security that really works is not leaving them unattended, all locks can be beaten, or they can simply remove the bits they want leaving the frame there, or cut through the frame to steal it and strip it later (yes both do happen)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • D-locks are probably the most secure, but they are very limited to what you can lock them to and their shape and size means that I had to carry it in a backpack (wouldn't fit on the frame). They are also relatively short so I would have never been able to lock 2 together.

I currently have a Hiplock. Heavy enough chain to lock up for a few minutes to deter passing scum-bags. Best thing about it is that you can wear it around your waist. After 2 or 3 minutes you forget that you are wearing it - so much so that I sometimes forget to take it off when I get into the house. Additionally it doesn't add weight to the frame or your backpack.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,535
    I got one of these for when I go out with the wife but generally just for pub lunch stops etc where the bikes are just outside and generally in view. heavier than a cable but more versatile than a D-lock and easily carried in a pouch that fixes to bottle cage bosses. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bordo-foldin ... 30253.html
    If we're going to be away from the bikes for any length of time, I take a small D lock as well.

having seen a scrote cutting a cable lock in a couple of seconds with cable cutters that fitted in his coat pocket, I wouldn't use one for anything other than locking the bike up where I can see it at all times.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I used a kryptonite Evo 4 on my old bike and it was solid. Short of using a set of pneumatic cutters you wouldn't get through it.

Doesn't stop the pikeys from trying though, mine had numerous scars from attempts with hacksaws and bolt cutters to get through it. In the end my frame ended up getting ruined in an attempt by some scoundrel to lever the lock apart, using my top tube as the fulcrum - leaving a huge dent in the frame.

The lock is solid but if you live in a city nothing with stop the thieves from getting something off your bike.

Also FYI the kryptoflex cable that comes with the lock works as a deterrent but can easily be cut through with a cheap set of bolt cutters so if you have an expensive fork or wheels, don't trust it. And nothing can stop them from taking your pedals/seat/bars/brakes etc. I see bikes with these missing in Edinburgh on a weekly basis.

So to summarise - keep your bike locked indoors, and never leave it unattended in a city.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    Get an Alsation,

what's one of those then :lol: