Spending money, what to get??

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
I have managed to find spare cash i didn't know I had. A lucky situation I know. My dilemma is I want to buy something to make cycling more enjoyable but no idea what to get.

I bought a crosstrail hybrid late last year and now commute on it. I also cycle (slowly) with the family with a toddler on a child seat or in a trailer. I have a pannier and rack, getting full mudguards already. I have a great waterproof jacket that works nicely for cycling too, What is worth getting??? And please don't say anything too expensive like a road bike. I already have an old one which will be getting made roadworthy again shortly. Money to spend is not fixed but I can't justify more than £200 (probably thinking less than £80 or I'd have a heart attack letting go of my cash!!!)

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Spend the £200 on the old bike to get it road worthy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Save your money until you know what you need\want?
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PBlakeney wrote:

Can't think that there can be a better answer than this.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tangled_metal
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Just needs new brakes and the quill headset needs a little work too. think it might need that bit replacing.

The bike is a true star IMHO. It is 25 years old and immaculate. I still have the original bar tape and it is very nearly as new. I have done miles in it though not the sorts of distances people on here do. It has been used every year since, some years not much others a lot. I'm kind of a cyclist who has in the past got incredibly keen then lost interest for a bit in the past.

It has Reynolds 501 tubing so nothing special I guess and 7speed (14 gears). Downtube shifters and Conti gators tyres. I am only on second pair and I almost never get punctures. About 3 in the last 25 years and none since using this make of tyre. i guess a bit of TLC is warranted but I'd not want to replace owt unless absolutely necessary as it is almost all original. Must be rare to find things that age as tidy as my bike.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Just needs new brakes and the quill headset needs a little work too. think it might need that bit replacing.

The bike is a true star IMHO. It is 25 years old and immaculate. I still have the original bar tape and it is very nearly as new. I have done miles in it though not the sorts of distances people on here do. It has been used every year since, some years not much others a lot. I'm kind of a cyclist who has in the past got incredibly keen then lost interest for a bit in the past.

It has Reynolds 501 tubing so nothing special I guess and 7speed (14 gears). Downtube shifters and Conti gators tyres. I am only on second pair and I almost never get punctures. About 3 in the last 25 years and none since using this make of tyre. i guess a bit of TLC is warranted but I'd not want to replace owt unless absolutely necessary as it is almost all original. Must be rare to find things that age as tidy as my bike.
    Brakes.
    Headset.
    Pedals.
    Shoes.
    Shorts.
    Mitts.

Make it work, then make it efficient and comfortable.

Anything else is surplus, although I would go for 25mm 4 Seasons tyres.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    If the old bike has chrome rims I'd spend some money on ali rimmed wheels. That would make a big improvement to the braking and you can always keep the original wheels if you want to.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Powertap.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Powertap.

This natch. :wink:

Or some giro factors
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Why not try and make a list of what annoys you about your cycling. Then we can see if £200 could fix it!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Why not try and make a list of what annoys you about your cycling. Then we can see if £200 could fix it!
    Other people. I'm not sure I can kill them all with £200 :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Other people. I'm not sure I can kill them all with £200 :?
    Maybe not but you could get a decent D-lock :wink:

If the bike is running less than perfectly, the first thing I'd do is fix what is wrong and have it serviced or buy the tools and learn to do it yourself.
    In terms of upgrades, I'd start with wheels and tyres, spd pedals and shoes.
    If you are carrying stuff, having the right luggage (backpack or rack/pannier combo) makes a huge difference.
    I always like to have some fluids with me - fit a bottle carrier or two or invest in a hydration pack.
    Wearing proper cycle kit makes the experience much more enjoyable than casual gear. Padded cycling shorts (with baggies over if you prefer) a wicking shirt, and mitts can be pretty inexpensive. I was amazed at how useful I have found a gillet and arm warmers. The likes of Aldi and Lidl often sell this sort of kit and it is fine to get you going.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tangled_metal
    I'm not as fit as a TdF rider. Will £200 fix that?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    If the old bike has chrome rims I'd spend some money on ali rimmed wheels. That would make a big improvement to the braking and you can always keep the original wheels if you want to.

I'd be very surprised if a 25 year old 501 framed bike had chrome rims. That's a bit like the 1980s equivalent of finding a Colnago C59 fitted with Sora!
    Faster than a tent.......