being followed home from trail centres

13»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    There is much truth in the saying "you dont need to make your bike impossible to steal, just less tempting than the one next to it".
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    apreading wrote:
    There is much truth in the saying "you dont need to make your bike impossible to steal, just less tempting than the one next to it".

Thieves are lazy, that why they steal instead of working.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    YIMan wrote:
    I got told a few years ago a popular thing for toe-rags to carry was a stanley knife with two blades in it. If they use it the blades separate and low and behold you are cutting a strip of skin and flesh out instead of just slashing the person. this means there is likely to be a really big scar they can't really do owt about. It happened to a lass I knew in passing, she had a nasty scar on the upper chin which she tried to cover with hair.

She grew a beard!?
    Think I meant cheek, but she had long hair that would have covered the side of her face a lot.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I got followed from a training ride this car kept overtaking me and every time I came to a junction it was waiting for me. I got totally paranoid and nipped down an alleyway and hid in a bush, the car pulled up at the end of the ally and I was bricking it thinking I am going to get the snot kicked out of me. Car pulled away but I stayed there for about 10 minutes before carrying on my way home taking every little path and alleyway. The bike stayed in my bedroom for a week.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    next must-have accessory - camelback with integrated shotgun scabbard?! :shock:
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Naturally, the Americans have this covered, and then some.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 65016.html
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    milko9000 wrote:

Now that's a funny thread, right from the first reply!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited July 2014
    milko9000 wrote:

This is the best reply on there:
    Could you describe your riding style so we can make better recommendations? Also, 29er or 26er?

I personally carry a titanium battle-axe with a carbon fiber handle for AM rides, a pair of Japanese katanas for XC (the Japanese make the BEST bike weapons), and a full on jousting lance for DH.

Shame he doesn't have any suggestions for Enduro :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Ferrals
    That thread is genius - particularly that reply.

Although, ppffsstt, what does he know, carbon would never survive the impacts caused by any half competent battle axe wielder!

I do like the idea of DH jousting though, maybe a new alternative to dual slalom?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    milko9000 wrote:
    Well, I did see a cute little adder at Swinley last week.
    Pity I wasn't carrying or I could have blowed the mutha away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Ferrals wrote:
    I do like the idea of DH jousting though, maybe a new alternative to dual slalom?

Is there not jousting on bikes already? Can't believe no-one's thought of that.
  • Ferrals
    A quick google reveals it already exists but in a rather kitsch form rather than the gladitorial bloodsport I was envisaging :twisted: :lol:

Picture this: a dark mountainside shrouded in rain and mist, the clattering of suspension and chain and two riders are hurtling out of the low cloud, steaming down the hillside 100 yards apart, suddenly they hit berms that channel them towards each other, reaching for their top tubes they grab telescopic poles which extend into lances, brace them selves, but they miss and pass each other, angling back down the hill they hammer a few pedals before another set of berms force them onto a collision course. This time there is impact and one rider is unconscious in the mud, the other steams off down the hill to the cheers of the adoring crowd :lol::lol::lol:
  • Angus Young
    There wasn't enough blood for my liking.
  • WhyteSky
    WhyteSky Posts: 70
    Peat wrote:
    'Drive to your nearest Police Station' - Don't get me started.... My nearest is a half an hour drive away and I live in a reasonably large conurbation. Thames Valley Police's strategy is to centralise it's force 'for a more efficient and effective service'. Naff all help when you call them and tell them you've apprehended a thief and have to try and sit on them for half an hour....

If you notice someone following you, one tactic would be to pull over and let them get ahead of you. THEN FOLLOW THEM!

When they tell you it'll be an hour before they can get an officer to you simply reply with something along the lines of

"That's fine, they're not going anywhere in a hurry. I've got my shotgun trained on them and they understand that if they try to escape I'll unload both barrels into their face".

I bet you have an officer or twenty at your house in no time at all!
  • Ferrals
    re. the police. A friend was in an upstairs flat and saw a confrontation in the street beneath, someone thought they'd been short changed buying weed and there was a lot of arguing, when one of them said 'if i dont get my money i'm going to stab you.' My mate immediately phoned the police and the response was 'call us back if they actually do get stabbed' :shock: :shock:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Ferrals wrote:
    re. the police. A friend was in an upstairs flat and saw a confrontation in the street beneath, someone thought they'd been short changed buying weed and there was a lot of arguing, when one of them said 'if i dont get my money i'm going to stab you.' My mate immediately phoned the police and the response was 'call us back if they actually do get stabbed' :shock: :shock:

They have a point, I mean did anyone see a knife even? How often has someone said "I will kick you head in" or something and never done it? If the police respond to every street scuffle after 10pm they would need an army.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    oh and that American gun carrying thread is just ridiculous - I used to ride in a provincial park in BC where cougars, bears and rattlesnakes were common place - considered and dismissed the idea of getting a fixed blade knife as I couldn't think where to carry it safely but packing a 45? WT actual F?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Don't really do trail centres and the ones I do are 1 1/2 hours drive away. I do leave from my house to go to my local woods though. Always feel paranoid using my dropper in the estate.

As for police response, my uncle's shed was being broken into,phoned the police, 'we'll be about 40mins', hang up, phone back with 'you also need to send an ambulance, I've knocked them out with a shovel'

Police were there within 3mins and caught them in the act (thief was off it apparently) and he got I right earful for making a nuisance call.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    oh and that American gun carrying thread is just ridiculous - I used to ride in a provincial park in BC where cougars, bears and rattlesnakes were common place - considered and dismissed the idea of getting a fixed blade knife as I couldn't think where to carry it safely but packing a 45? WT actual F?

In fairness, a battle between bear and biker carrying a knife is only going to end well for the bear. Not that you'd have a great deal more chance with a handgun, I'd imagine. Must be quite a challenge to get it drawn and fired accurately in time if a bear's really decided you're lunch.