Campagnolo SR Right Ergo Ghost Shifting

littlestwoo
littlestwoo Posts: 25
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hope someone can help with this,
Groupset is Campagnolo Super Record 2012 (miledge unknown, but this is a best bike so not loads)
Frame is Colnago Extreme C (has external routing)
Problem = The Ergo lever will not hold the rear mech in position in the lower gears. Basically sprockets 12-17(ish) the rear mech shifts / index's fine. When I try to use the lower gears 17-25(ish) the rear mech wants to shift back into a higher gear, the shifter is not holding it there. With careful shifting you can encourage it to stay in a lower gear but the final 25 is absolutely no go, it will shift in with ease but just drops back on to the 23 again. I'm sure the problem is the shifter. Can replocate fault in work stand with back wheel removed, mech will move all the way inwards with ease but will slip back down instead of staying in place in the low range. More than happy to delve into Ergo internals although never done before, advice greatly appreciated,
Steve

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    So you are saying

1) The Ergo lever clicks back and sends the chain back to the smaller sprocket

2) The chain goes back to the smaller sprocket but the ergos don't click back

If it's the latter, it's simply an indexing/alignment issue of some sort, nothing to do with the Ergos
    left the forum March 2023
  • No 1, the Ergos click back
    Can replicate with bike in work stand and no back wheel in place
  • ugo.santalucia
    I see...

Graeme at Velotech seems the right man to talk to

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/index.shtml

I have opened a few Ergo levers... some jobs are easy, others very hard... a couple of components require watchmaker's skills and patience to complete
  • Thanks, spoke to Graeme who was incredibly helpful, I'm always cautious about taking prefessionals time. He thinks it needs a shim between 2 conicle washes in the clutch mechanism, his description makes perfect sense with my symptoms. He warns against flying parts and losing anything, he is kindly posting me out a shim today. Unfortunately Campy have changed there policy from repair to replace which is a big shame and has always been a major Campy advantage in the past
  • ugo.santalucia
    Unfortunately Campy have changed there policy from repair to replace which is a big shame and has always been a major Campy advantage in the past

Yes, which is why I am still using Campag 9 speed