Tyre pressures and tyres.....

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited August 2014 in MTB general
As the title says, Tyre pressures, what do you run and any tips.

I use continental x kings 26x2.2 on the road for commute to work and back. At 20psi in each the ride is nice and smooth but abit slower and harder. Go to 40psi in each and faster but it shakes me to bits and feels like I have no suspension.

Is there any rule for pressures or just what feels best.

Also how much better would slicks be for the road compared to the x kings.

Have a spare set of wheels, so looking for some fast rolling tyres for the road.

Or do I keep what I have and alter tyre and suspension pressures for a smoother ride?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What feels best - too hard and you wont get enough grip, too soft and you risk pinch flats and rolling the tyre off the rim - I have never checked psi on my tires but I usually run them soft enough to deform a bit with the hand! Like a well used tennis ball perhaps.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • On 1.9 Conti slicks I run the fronts at 55 psi and the rears at 65 psi for commuting. It's a little uncomfortable but offers the least resistance.

45/55 is far more comfortable but can be a bit of a drag (literally) on a daily 20 mile round trip.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    20psi on the road?? It'll be like riding through treacle! I usually have about 30psi in my mtb tyres (maybe 25 at the front), about 80-90psi on the cx/road bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    On my MTB I use 35psi front / 30-35psi rear as there's lot of road cycling to get to my local woods. Seems to offer the best balance of grip on dirt without being too draggy on the road as I can't be arsed to stop and pump them up / let them down depending on surface.

I run 90psi on my BMX though (tyres are rated up to 110) :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    Sorry didn't read we were talking about riding on road - thought this was the mtb section.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run a Ralph/Ron combo at 30psi both ends, if I were a better rider I'd use 25 front as it feels better more of the time but I got a few pinch flats due to my ham handedness.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    try this link http://mtb.ubiqyou.com/
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    28psi front and rear in dry 23psi in the wet on my downhill bike with various tyres depending on track conditions and surface.
    28psi in all conditions on my xc bike with 2.2 Rubber Queens.
    120psi in my road bike in all conditions.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Sorry didn't read we were talking about riding on road - thought this was the mtb section.

exactly

I wouldn't use my X-kings on the road. They cost too much to destroy on tarmac
  • paul.skibum
    ednino wrote:

exactly

I wouldn't use my X-kings on the road. They cost too much to destroy on tarmac

Yeah price of decent off road tyres I'd snag a set of cheap wheels and hard road tyres and swap them as needed. Then I'd pump the road tyres up hard to roll fast - maybe get something like the Hookworm to give some cushion to the pushin'
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Used to run 28psi front and back on conti vert pro's 2.2, but after a year of thorns and puncture now run 33-35psi and seems to bounce the thorns off! :D
  • For road use I'd inflate the tyres to the maximum pressure that's on the sidewall. I doubt 40psi will be rattling your fillings though ... my road bike tyres are usually around 120 to 125psi and a good deal smaller in width.

If you have to use the MTB for road commuting then something more narrow and with less tread will make a significant difference for you.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For my XC hardtail off road I use 40psi so would be the same on road. If you want to have your bones rattled try a road bike with 23mm tyres at 110psi. You will be faster and have the reactions of a ninja dodging pot holes and road debris.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    On my hardtail I run 18 psi front, 22psi rear off road, where I am you transition from limestone to gneiss a lot, so you can go from a bone-dry trail to a bog in seconds. Also, the grip is insane! Many of my local trails are topped with large, loose stones, and I haven't had a puncture since I got my On One tyres 18 months ago. Oh, and 65 psi at both ends when I'm riding to work, on the same tyres.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.