Does anywhere sell those shifter adjuster things?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Does anywhere sell these on their own?

ZVjCyGg.png

My ones are on shifters from 1998 and aren't really giving me the cable tension they would be if they were new. One of them has a slice cut off and it means the cable housing can "bend" at the shifter super easily, so even just the innocent action of changing gear itself can make it tighten then flop down and not change well on the smaller sprockets, when the cable is loose and the shifter adjuster isn't holding it well.

Is it true that these parts are not generic and you can't just buy spare ones? I have seen the hideous prices some new old top end parts can cost. :roll:

I mean like if I got some off a 7-speed XT shifter for my 8-speed XTR shifters... but then what's the point of that when I need new ones.

Shimano never made a way to just have the cable going in, shame because I have an inline adjuster just after the shifter, a downtube adjuster and an adjuster on the rear mech to boot. Thats four areas on the bike where the rear mech cable tension can be adjusted. :mrgreen: If I had my way I would do away with the "shifter side" adjuster but alas, it is part of the hardware, thanks Shimano.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty sure they're generic.
    If that's your question. Random rambling doesn't help.
    Njee might be along later.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Manc33
    All the ones I can find are for rear mechs with multiple notches on.

My MTB shifter ones have a long block/notch on where it goes in the shifter.

I will dig out my Altus shifters and see if those even had adjusters on them.

Ideally I want to do away with the adjuster altogether but you can't just plug a cable housing cap into the shifter, IMO Shimano could have catered for that. :roll: You could have it both ways.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need an adjuster for the front mech. But they do lose it on the cheap rear shifters.

If is good to have on the shifters to tweek the tension as you ride.

They are available as spares but tend to vicomte in a big box of bits. Ty talking to a good bike shop.

Don't forget to tell them what shifters they are for ( you failed to here or did you? You have no been clear) then they might be able to get you some.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Manc33
    M951 shifters. I already looked at the newer Altus adjuster and it would never fit the M951's. The Altus has a screw thread and looks a lot like a down tube adjuster, whereas the old M951 adjuster is just held in by the cable tension alone and a square notch to stop it moving around...

lKar3rw.jpg

I wonder if there's like a "fat cable end" thing you can get to plug the cable housing into a shifter with no adjuster needed. I don't even want these stupid things on my shifters in the first place lol. There's always an adjuster on the rear mech and as for being able to adjust it on the handlebars I don't really care about that for the amount of adjusting these things need once set up.

If it can even potentially bend at the shifter, then I have to start turning my nose up and looking for a fixed solution... its overkill honestly. You can't make a straight cable run when these adjusters go bad. The reason they don't work is when you're changing around the smaller sprockets, the cable housing can bend. Having it set so the cable housing takes up the tension doesn't work, then the whole cable is too tight and downshifting is delayed or won't even shift until the adjuster is wound in a bit.

Why don't I just move down south and go everywhere on a fixed cog. :x

inb4 "No one else ever has any of these problems, only you" :lol:

The way I look at it is there's only me even noticing it, other people just put up with 97% good shifting whereas I can't. :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Too much to read for 1am, but can't you just buy new shifters? Even try eBay, BR classifieds, Pinkbike, STW etc for used.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I may be reading too much into the OP's questions here - although in my defence, there's a lot in them already - but is part of the issue with cable routing? If the adjuster doesn't adjust and OP doesn't want a cable adjuster there, that's somewhat of a non-issue, but he seems to be troubled by the angle at which the cable goes into his lever. In which case, cable routing is at least pasrt of the problem
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er