Fork and shock rebound

Grisley Paul
Grisley Paul Posts: 186
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys,

Just a quickie, if you are running higher pressures in your fork and shock do you run rebound on the fast or slow side to accompany it ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The two are not related. Set the sag with the pressure, then the rebound as you want it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Grisley Paul
    cooldad wrote:
    The two are not related. Set the sag with the pressure, then the rebound as you want it.

Ok, I always thought you set the rebound in relation to the sag/ air pressure ?
  • nope.

Set the sag with the air.

Then set the rebound.

Best way to see what rebound does is to turn it to the extremes, compress the suspension, then watch what happens when it returns - it will be very slow or very fast.

If you set it too fast, you'll pogo off the bike.
    If you set it too slow, you'll bog down in the suspension and it won't return over repeated hits.

Time to start tweeking!
  • Grisley Paul
    nope.

Set the sag with the air.

Then set the rebound.

Best way to see what rebound does is to turn it to the extremes, compress the suspension, then watch what happens when it returns - it will be very slow or very fast.

If you set it too fast, you'll pogo off the bike.
    If you set it too slow, you'll bog down in the suspension and it won't return over repeated hits.

Time to start tweeking!

Lovely, thanks for that, spot on, just the kind of explanation I was looking for :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sag is controlled by the Air pressure. Rebound is controlled by the Oil inside the fork. Dont try and adjust both at the same time or you will get confused.

I find the best way to set up a new to me fork is to put the Rebound in the midle setting you will have to turn it all the way to fast or slow then count the clicks all the way to the opposite and then put it say 8 of 16 clicks. Then set the sag to 20% with your shock pump go for a quick ride and check it again. Once you have the sag set then you can play with the rebound but only adjust it one click at a time and make a note of which way you moved it and how many clicks its easy to forget.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Hi guys - quick question about sag.
    am I right in saying I need to inflate the fork so it has zero travel, pop a cable tie around and then completely deflate. Re-inflate and then measure the total travel distance and then bleed off until I have about 20-25% sag with me sat on the bike?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes, but without the deflation and reinflation. Just whack a zippie on, push it to the bottom and sit on the bike. I would say go for 25-30% personally.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Guys,

Just a quickie, if you are running higher pressures in your fork and shock do you run rebound on the fast or slow side to accompany it ?
    Despite the other comments, yes, the damper is there to control the spring (stop it pogoing) primarily , as such if the spring is stiffer then the damper needs to be set 'stiffer' to cope, it's not a direct correlation and the damper performs other functions as well (such as affecting weight transfer dynamically) though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.