11 Day JOGLE. Shopping list!

Sir.Swish
Sir.Swish Posts: 80
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
The 10th of September is just around the bend and my north to south tour is looming!

The bike:
2005 Cove Handjob steel frame
Schwalbe Kojak slicks 26x2.0
All new 10spd Shimano Zee rear mech & shifters
36t single front chainring
Brooks B17 Narrow

Storage:
65L Regatta Survivor backpack
10l Altura seatpost mount saddlebag for tools etc.

Navigation & Communication:
Garmin Edge Touring
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone
Up to date UK road map (just in case!)

For myself:
Assos chamois cream
Sun lotion 50+
High 5 electrolyte soluable tablets
Wallet
First aid kit
Small assortment of medicines

Spares & Tools
x2 tubes
x1 spare tyre
x10 spare batteries for lights
Park tool chain tool
x2 Screwdriver
Allen key set
Cable ties
90psi pump (attatched to frame)

Clothes:
Specialized fingerless gel gloves
x1 Jersey
x6 pairs socks
x5 t-shirts
x2 casual shorts
x6 pants

I need to address the bib shorts, jersey and waterproof issue on the 10th of august (my last pay day before the ride) if anyone has any advice on good kit for sale right now or indeed anything obvious I have missed on this list please add!
2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
1975 Vindec Vogue
1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx

Comments

• Al Downie
    Al Downie Posts: 27
    Have done much long-distance stuff before this with a heavy backpack on? I'm sure you're fit enough and will manage, but using a rack and a couple of panniers is bound to be more comfortable, surely?
  • +1 that rucksack is not a good idea. There's a reason most people tour with panniers.
    UK road map - only take the pages you need - leave the rest behind.
    Are you also camping or is that list all the stuff you're taking? It seems like a big bag for all that stuff.

I wouldn't bother with so many spare batteries unless you're planning to ride at night. The days are still pretty long and you can always buy more batteries on the way of you need them.

I'd take less t-shirts and pants - maybe 3 of everything. just 1 pair of casual shorts?

Good luck -it's good causes you're riding for and if the weather stays like this it'll be glorious.
  • Sir.Swish
    Sir.Swish Posts: 80
    Thanks for your replies! Sadly the handjob frame has no bosses or mounts for a proper pannier rack, will definitely reconsider the amount of clothes I take, thanks!
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Midge and mosquito repellant?
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited July 2014
    I did a twelve day Jogle in June and stayed in b&b's hostels etc. Agree with comments above, a backpack is not a great option, I used a carradice camper longflap together with a 5 litre topeak bar bag which was very useful. I carried the following
    Spare set of riding clothes (bib shorts, ss jersey and base layer)
    3 x riding socks
    Rain jacket
    1pair nanoflex arm and knee warmers
    Buff
    2 pairs of gloves ( 1 long, 1 mitts)
    Pair of overshoes
    Off the bike
    1 pair craghopper trousers with removable legs
    2 pair pants
    Pair of lightweight shoes (sketchers gowalk)
    2 x lightweight t shirts which dry quickly
    1 x travel towel
    Toothbrush, paste, shower gel, deodorant, sunspray, washing gel for clothes, two collapsable clothes hangers ( invaluable for drying kit)
    Pre programmed garmin 800 with each days ride plus pages from a cheap road atlas.
    Backup battery pack (19000mah! ) to charge up garmin, phone, USB lights etc. Hostels don't always have charging facilities.
    Spares and tools - brake and gear cable, brake pads, quick links, puncture repair kit plus pump ( lezyne road drive) and two spare tubes. Mini tool plus side cutters, cables ties various. Chain lube and wet wipes.
    Lights (summer) USB rechargeable front plus rear.
    2x water bottles
    Bike- Boardman CX team converted to road use with Vittoria Randonneur pro tyres 32 and mudguards. Carradice Bagman sport qr mount for the saddlebag. Gearing was 50/34 with a 12/30 cassette which was fine for most of the journey a bit painful on some Cornish hills!
    Saddle Charge Scoop, SPD shoes and pedals (easier to walk in than SPD SL)
  • Al Downie
    Sir.Swish wrote:
    Sadly the handjob frame has no bosses or mounts for a proper pannier rack,

It's dead easy to fit a rack on a frame like that, using p-clips. Gotta be the right size, but once that's sorted the rack should easily hold touring luggage...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Ok. Definitely do not take a rucksack. Put a beam rack, or p clip a regular rack onto the bike.

Clothing, you are taking way, way too much. 6 pairs of socks? 2 of anything is enough if you are disciplined in washing clothes each evening etc. (you can even get that down to 1 of things if you are going to a hot climate).

Just managed a 800 mile tour of the highlands with 1 jersey, 1 base layer, did take 2 pairs of bibs, 2 pairs of socks as my main clothing. I also had a pair of off bike shorts and a shirt. You do not need two pairs of casual shorts, it is not a fashion critical couple of weeks where people are going to comment that you are wearing the same outfit again. 1 pair of off bike shorts that are light and quick to dry, wash them and strap them onto the rack to dry.

10 spare batteries for lights - batteries are heavy, but available widely. Carry 1 spare set at most.

Really look at everything you are putting in whatever bag and think about how you could not put it in the bag. You will be amazed with how little you need to be comfortable.
  • Al Downie
    On the subject of clothes/personal hygiene, I prefer to let myself get a bit stinky in between frantic scrubbing sessions with saved-up airplane 'freshen-up' wipes, and maybe do a proper clothes was once a week. But I agree with Marcus - 2x anything should be enough.

Regarding batteries - I try to make sure that any battery-powered items take AA batteries, and then load them with disposable lithiums which are super-light compared to alkalines, and last about 4x as long, AND have a really long shelf life! They're normally very expensive, but my local supermarket is doing them at half-price just now - less than top-end alkalines. Stock up! The other great thing about AA battery devices is that you can pick up replacements almost anywhere in the world.

On my first tour I took FAR too much stuff, and it really does have an impact on the knees, and on morale. After a few days I had to chuck loads of stuff away. Before my second tour I went a bit bonkers, shortening toothbrush handles, drilling holes in things, memorizing my toilet-paper policy, ANYTHING that would make pedalling a bit lighter, and then I spent a week packing and unpacking, discarding something every time I unpacked. By the time I was about to leave, my 'discarded' pile was almost as big as my 'essential' pile.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Packing list for a 5-day tour of the highlands of Scotland:

2 inner tubes + some self-adhesive patches
    Tyre lever
    Pump
    Multi-tool
    Self-adhesive tyre boot
    Small selection of cable ties
    Very light lock

1 short sleeve jersey
    2 pairs bibs
    1 pair arm warmers
    1 base layer
    1 long-sleeved mid layer
    1 outer shell jacket
    1 pair knee warmers
    2 pairs socks
    Mits
    Long fingered gloves
    Buff
    Cap
    Waterproof
    Off bike shorts
    Off bike shirt
    Off bike flip flops

Little box of medicine/first aid stuff
    Sun cream
    Bum cream
    Emergency survival blanket

Spork

Charger

Sleeping bag liner
    Tiny towel (about 300*300mm)

That was for a tour where I was travelling fast and light and staying in hostels. In the end, I didn't need much of the warmer stuff or waterproofs as we were dealing with 29 degree heat most days.

I am not a light packer either - there's much I could have stripped out of that little lot to really get things down.
  • I could have managed without the second set of riding gear as managed to get my kit washed and dried most days as Hostels normally have drying rooms. I didn't need any spares either but I guess it's an insurance policy and really didn't take up much space or weight.
  • Well things have changed again! My riding partner has pulled out of the event so me and my dad put our heads down and he has managed to find a way to travel behind me in a van! So thankfully as per all your advice I can do away with the backpack and ride cargo-less!

Anyone in the market for x2 train tickets from Bristol to Thurso? :roll:
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• Luxury! Now all you need is to get rid of the Cove and get yourself one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w

Sorted.
  • Jet JOGLE? Count me in! :P
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"