way too much brake cable friction!!

ozzy1000_0
ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've just bought some bling (but cheap) intergrated carbon drops. the cables are routed inside the bars coming out near the headtube. this means there is some pretty tight curves the cables go around where they enter the bars near the shifter/brakes. I replaced the cables when I put them so its new outers and inners all round.... the gear cables are pretty good and shift fine, but the brakes go straight into what is a quite a short reach bar and then turn along the inside, so some very tight turns, and there's quite abit of friction in there. the front works fine, but the rear with the extra cable legnth and outer, its just too much for the caliper spring and it doesn't release the brake properly.

I've tried different wieght greases, the best so far being a molyslip type grease, but its still not acceptable. does anyone have any suggetsions? is it possible to get thinner brake cables so they're less tight in there??

all the best,

O

Comments

• brearley
    brearley Posts: 165
    have you cut the ends badly leaving a bent piece of metal in the end?
    That may be holding the cable not allowing for release. Undo the brake and feel if the cable slides through the outer easily, there should be minimal friction in the system. The bends don't matter a massive amount as there is a liner in the brake outer anyway.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I normally put vassoline on mine to ease them through works for me
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    standard cable outer is not so good on tight radius bends, you may need to use different outer to get better results

fwiw i use nokon with powercordz in integrated bars, there're some tight bends but no problems at all
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny