New deep rim wheel advice

T1berious
T1berious Posts: 438
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Hoping someone can come up with some ideas and suggestions regarding some new wheels. I'm getting back into triathlon (sprint distance) this year and hoping to do Olympic distance next year.

I have a HED 03 frame with Ultegra and am after some wheels. I did have some Mavic Ksyrium SL's but these have made their way to a SuperSix Evo 6 leaving my race day bike in need of some decent wheels.

Budget is <700 and I've been looking at the Shimano RS81 C50's. seen these for around 560 and these are looking like a good bet. Also looked at Flo wheels but as I need them pretty sharpish (raceday 31/8/14) I didn't really want to go through the misery of a huge wait.

I did look at the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS but got the feeling it was last years tech (narrower rims etc).

Any suggestions would be really appreciated as I'm hoping to get them sorted this week.

Cheers,

T1b

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    T1berious wrote:
    I did look at the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS but got the feeling it was last years tech (narrower rims etc).
    T1b

These will be ideal for a Tri,an Alloy brake track for when it's raining...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • T1berious
    [quote="upperoilcan"

These will be ideal for a Tri,an Alloy brake track for when it's raining...[/quote]

I thought RS81's also has a alloy brake track?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you weren't in a rush, I would say FLO 60 are the wheels for you... but they have a strange business model and you have to sign up and wait for the next batch of wheels to be available...

So, these, maybe?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXPC8210 ... 1-wheelset
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have been really impressed with my Farr Sports. I got 50mm x 23mm Toroidals with ceramics. I weighed them at 1438g without skewers. The tubular option was listed as quite a bit lighter.

I gave them to my LBS who builds wheels, for a check out before using them. He said the spoke tension and true was very good and the quality looked first rate.

£493 all in, no import taxes charged.

If something went wrong, warranty would be a hassle but not unsolvable. They were less than a third of my budget so I was prepared to take that risk.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have RS80 C50s and they don't "feel" very fast, ultimately they aren't very deep, and aren't a fancy shape. My standard suggestion for triathletes/TTers is the same as Ugo posted earlier, because they are a good price for some deep wheels.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • T1berious
    Sorry, forgot to add i'm really only after clinchers and a non carbon braking surface :)

Sorry about the lack of necessary info.

Cheers,

T1b
  • good value http://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo- ... 70915.html

might have to change the freehub and de sticker.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    If you're running 11 speed, campag 11 speed cassettes are the same spacing as shimano so the bullets with a campag 11 speed cassette would work with shimano 11 speed mech/shifters.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Do you know if they go wub-wub-wub? :D
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    iPete wrote:

My 82 goes wub wub very slightly but only if I'm mashing the wrong gear up a hill. The 101 with a tightly fitted disc cover might go wub wub.

These are the kind of questions that need to be asked.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    iPete wrote:

I am sure you can download an app for that and keep riding Open PRO? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:

I am sure you can download an app for that and keep riding Open PRO? :roll:

but I'll wear out the rims eventually :wink:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    T1berious wrote:
    Sorry, forgot to add i'm really only after clinchers and a non carbon braking surface :)

Sorry about the lack of necessary info.

Cheers,

T1b

Are you planning on doing lots of braking then in these triathlons?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Your criteria would give a wheel that could also be used for bench pressing, on wet days.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro