Brake update for giant defy 3

juanerasmoe
juanerasmoe Posts: 91
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have a giant defy 3 (2013) that came with Tektro TK-R312 brake calipers. I'm thinking about upgrading them to get better braking in my bike and I was looking at these calipers http://goo.gl/XfP46e, but I read in the description that they aren't compatible with the Sora shifters that came with my bike.
My question now is, can I just ignore this and use the 105 calipers? Are there other brake calipers that would improve my braking performance and that are compatible with Sora shifters? Would new brake pads make a big difference?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    i swapped my brake calipers 1 month ago. Trek 1.2 2013 (sora 9 speed shifters). The brakes were truly awful.

Swapped for Shimano 105 5700 calipers made the world of difference. Best £45 I could spend on the bike.

It wasn't the pads either because I tried just 105 brake pads alone at first and the braking power was still poor.

Worked fine with Sora shifters.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I ride the same bike and on the assumption you're on the original pads, I'd try replacing them first before forking out for new callipers.

Recently changed mine to replacement Jagwire pads and the difference was going from having no brakes to ones that actually stopped the bike- and I'm not exaggerating here, Having ridden over 2500 miles before discovering what it's like to have brakes that actually stop you and those pads are by no means top end!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Changed my Trek 1.5 to new 105 callipers , big improvement.