Why is tax so taxing?

gingaman
gingaman Posts: 576
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Any of you lot an accountant/good with tax stuff?

My accounts dept at work has today sent out an email stating we employees need to fill and send a P11D form to HMRC (bearing in mind that the deadline for this was 15 days ago!)

As I am not self-employed I did a little reading about the subject. Am I right in thinking that this form is something that should be filled in by the employer and sent by the employer, with only a copy sent to the employee?

I don't mind sending it myself, but if it is past the deadline will I be liable for any possible repercussions, or as this should have been completed and sent by the employer, will they be liable?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p11d.pdf given what it says in the top right - yes, it's for the employer to fill in.

You wonder if this is some ruse by accounts to pass on any fines to the employees?
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    You wonder if this is some ruse by accounts to pass on any fines to the employees?

I wonder if it is more of a ruse for the lady in accounts to avoid doing any work!
  • captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    As an accountant having just filled out a load (don't ask me any complicated details though, I'm not proficient at tax - but P11D's are easy to fill in!), yes, your employer should stop being a lazy fecker and fill it in. And then a copy be given to you for your records.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    gingaman wrote:

stevo666 is the king of tax avoidance :wink: works for some nasty big London firm I think.

He's usually over in Bottom Bracket or Crudcatcher but don't let that put you off :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    arran77 wrote:
    gingaman wrote:

stevo666 is the king of tax avoidance :wink: works for some nasty big London firm I think.

He's usually over in Bottom Bracket or Crudcatcher but don't let that put you off :lol:
    Oi, cheeky git :)

Markhewitt is bang on the money - it's the employers responsibility. Just send the lazy bag the link above, that will settle things. And spread the word.

I've never know any employer to try that one!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]