Totally Baffled - Any Ideas?

Jordibird
Jordibird Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

As you good folks on here have helped me in the past I thought I would seek your advice again, before I end up in an asylum :shock:

My Claud B Explorer 500 has now given up the ghost due to me being knocked off it by a twonk in a car. But to be honest it wasn't really ideal for my form of commuting to work. Although it was a hybrid the tracks I take are quite rough to say the least and the pebble dashing and skidding/sliding made a white knuckle journey most days.

So I'm off to purchase a MTB this week and have made a short list with specs for the 3 I like most, but that's where I am stuck :? I cant decide at all.

The 3 are Specialized Myka Disc and the Sport model and the Giant Tempt 5. I don't want to cause any arguments but your advice on all 3 would be much appreciated. I am going to have a look at them on Wednesday to check out sizes etc as I'm 5 foot and a half an inch small. I just can''t decide folks :|

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help - most people haven't memorised the spec and prices of every bike out there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Why not say "could you post the links please", or "it would help if you posted a link", rather than "most people haven't memorised the spec and prices of every bike out there".

You may be stating the obvious, may be the OP should have posted the links, but why make these forums so unfriendly, there are quite a lot of posts where people jump in feet first, I don't get it.

Chill :D 8)

OP - could you link to the bikes you are looking at. Is the bike just for the commute, or for leisure too?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Why not say "could you post the links please", or "it would help if you posted a link", rather than "most people haven't memorised the spec and prices of every bike out there".

You may be stating the obvious, may be the OP should have posted the links, but why make these forums so unfriendly, there are quite a lot of posts where people jump in feet first, I don't get it.

Chill :D 8)

OP - could you link to the bikes you are looking at. Is the bike just for the commute, or for leisure too?

Glad it's not just me that thinks that then! The general hostility and condescending replies towards new members is pretty shocking sometimes.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Its really bad... some great people willing to help on here, but I get the feeling you are not really welcome unless you know your stuff. Shame.
  • Well CD's comment was mild, you'll probably need a thicker skin if you intend frequent the mtb forums regularly, they can play a little rough in here.

Maybe Commuting forums would be better?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Well CD's comment was mild, you'll probably need a thicker skin if you intend frequent the mtb forums regularly, they can play a little rough in here.

Thick skin is fine when you've been here a while, I mean I'm as much of a dick as anyone, but day in day out you see new members scared off by the shitty tone people take with them.

There's a difference between an idoit and a new member that just wants some help, but they're often treated as one in the same on here and there's no excuse for it really. Probably why the forum has a bad name elsewhere.

Just my tuppence worth anyway, take it or leave it 8)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Well CD's comment was mild, you'll probably need a thicker skin if you intend frequent the mtb forums regularly, they can play a little rough in here.

Why is that, are Mountain Bikers hard core :? Come on, thats just ridiculous... I commute, I ride road, I ride CX, I ride MTB, I aint soft.

Maybe the commuting forums would be better.

We should be doing more to get people into the sport? Mountain Biking is up against road riding and all sorts of other cycling disciplines.

Why is that, are Mountain Bikers hard core :? Come on, thats just ridiculous... I commute, I ride road, I ride CX, I ride MTB, I aint soft.

Maybe the commuting forums would be better.

We should be doing more to get people into the sport? Mountain Biking is up against road riding and all sorts of other cycling disciplines.

The mtb forums are a boys club. They often bemoan the lack of female posters on here and female riders on the trails - cause and effect.
  • Anyway, back the the question, if you're looking for a bike capable of off road and on road, an mtb isn't the only option, there are bikes like the Specialized crosstrail which are closer to an mtb than a hybrid or look at cyclecross bikes which are a great option. Something like the Boardman CX or similar, not sure about female specific choices?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My wife is 5ft2 and rides a 2013 Trek Mynx sl. The reason she choose the bike was the riding position was good with plenty of stand over height, it felt good on the test ride, had a decent spec, did not have "big wheels "and she liked the look of it. She rides the bike off and on road happily.

If you look in your price range the equivalent bike was a 2013 trek mynx or a Trek Cali. Both got good reviews. You are doing the right thing looking at the bike and test riding as you get a feel for the bikes that way. See if you can find any reduced bikes to get more for your money and make sure you get the right sized bike.

Good luck :)
  • cooldad
    Was simply giving a good reason for giving links.

Plus he/she is not a newbie - just forgot his/her sign on. Read the post.

(As you can see I am an equal opportunity knob.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Haha. Question is, will the OP be reading this?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm feeling generous:
    Myka Disc
    Myka Sport Disc
    Tempt 5
    Now answer the question and remember - No arguments!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    Jolly good.

Better than any of those and much cheaper.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... ctFeatures

Much, much better than any of those, and only fractionally more

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... Advantages
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Boardman hybrid.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Jordibird
    HI,

Sorry about that I should of realised and posted links, you probably get loads of these questions and I wasn't thinking :roll:
    I have tried to put links on this post and I hope they work. One thing I should add is I phoned a couple of local bike shops and both the Myka's were out of stock, the 3rd I spoke to was really helpful and told me to call in on Thursday as he will have the 2015 version in for me to try out.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... mens-bikes
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... mens-bikes

Thanks and sorry about the previous omission hope it hasn't caused too much bother. I've read the posts by the way and honestly Cooldad I didn't take any offence - you were spot on.
    Thanks for the info on the Trek as well, I did look at those and they could be worth adding to my list.

P.S last time I looked I was definately female :wink:
  • Jordibird
    Just looked at the Decathlon bikes ....thanks Cooldad
  • The thing with the Specialized bikes is you will be paying more, but for a lower spec. If you could find 2014 versions then very soon they will be in the sale and discounted. The 2015 version may be even more expensive. That's not to say anything is wrong with their bikes! I have an Allez and TriCross. Worth looking at the Boardman, high end Carreras and Decathlon.
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    It might be worth visiting a shop and working out what size you need, then looking for the 2014 version or maybe even a 2013 if there is soon kicking about like mattrixdesign2 suggested.
    Specialized a good bikes but to an extent you are paying for the name, Merida as also a good brand to look out for.

http://2014.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike ... inder.html
  • cooldad
    Jordibird wrote:
    P.S last time I looked I was definitely female :wink:
    POIDH. (smiley winky thing)(I don't do smileys)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools