Ksyrium SL Freehub

nicksun
nicksun Posts: 290
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,
I recently noticed a fair bit of play in my cassette whem moving it with my fingers. The play was all at the largest sprocket end so assumed the nylon type bush was worn.
I've now replaced the freehub and the play still seams excessive.
Should there be any movement at all at that end of the cassette?
Cheers.
Nick.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Have you fitted the spacer?
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You shouldn't have any play in the cassette if it's mounted with the requisite spacers and the lockring torqued sufficiently.
  • nicksun
    yes, both the mavic and shimano 10s spacer are fitted.
    I can move the body without a cassette fitted. It's only a small amount, perhaps 0.5mm or less but this movement is amplified when a cassette is fitted.
    I popped into my lbs who said that mavic may make different sizes of freehub(bush presumably) but i've had no luck finding any other shimano fitting freehub.
  • nicksun
    Just spoke to mavic service centre (very helpful) and they've confirmed that i have the correct freehub, in which case the hub must be worn.
    Damn and blast is all i can say on here!
  • nicksun
    I've ordered an over sized bushing for the freehub. I'll post when I've received and tried it out for future reference.
  • nicksun
    The oversize bushing does the job perfectly.
    For £7.71 I'll probably get another year or two out of these wheels.
    Just search for Mavic freehub bushing on Ebay and a couple of options will come up. There are various sizes and they're from America.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Nick.