Wiggo for Vuelta?

kevin_stephens
kevin_stephens Posts: 184
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Is this at all feasible, possible or likely? And with Froome?
I want to climb hills so badly;
and I climb hills so badly

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's feasible, possible and likely. With Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    On the BBC red button Clancy was saying that Wiggo was looking great. Meaning back on the boards.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's feasible, possible and likely. With Froome.

Let's hope they kiss and make up then.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2014
    Both. Aside from Foome's fragility (which might just be bad luck), there's no way they can rely on fielding a GC controlling squad. An opportunistic Wiggo with a point to prove, and World's TT to prepare for, is quite a weapon.

e: Don't know if Martin is riding some of it, but a Martin/Wiggo (Margo) tandem off the front would be a good chase.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • He is a massive weapon.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Coachb wrote:
    On the BBC red button Clancy was saying that Wiggo was looking great. Meaning back on the boards.
    Not riding the Commies ITT any longer though according to a report I read over the weekend - so does he feel all the track/power work has knocked his endurance levels?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Coachb wrote:
    Not riding the Commies ITT any longer though according to a report I read over the weekend - so does he feel all the track/power work has knocked his endurance levels?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    All the retirements from the tour means that Wiggo, Froome and Cav all doing the Vuelta? Which of course means they won't be doing Tour of Britain.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    All the retirements from the tour means that Wiggo, Froome and Cav all doing the Vuelta? Which of course means they won't be doing Tour of Britain.
    One of the Yateses will win that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    RichN95 wrote:
    One of the Yateses will win that.

I notice that Adam has been riding a few passes in Switzerland this week (including the Stelvio from Switzerland)
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Is this at all feasible, possible or likely? And with Froome?

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport he said: “My time as a Grand Tour rider is over. I’ll still ride them but not to win them.”
  • markhewitt1978
    dsoutar wrote:
    Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport he said: “My time as a Grand Tour rider is over. I’ll still ride them but not to win them.”

You would have to question the former winner of the Tour de France actually being happy to ride that race 'not to win', as you have to put as much effort in and make as many sacrifices winner or not.
  • OPQS
    dsoutar wrote:

You would have to question the former winner of the Tour de France actually being happy to ride that race 'not to win', as you have to put as much effort in and make as many sacrifices winner or not.

The pressure and expectation isn't the same though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dsoutar wrote:

The sacrifices to arrive at the start in form are significantly greater. He could be in shape to get around and still have a life / see his children etc.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • markhewitt1978
    I'm sure he could "get around" but there is a pressure on a former winner to do more than just that, non?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I'm sure he could "get around" but there is a pressure on a former winner to do more than just that, non?

From who? Not from himself, as he knows what it took to win the Tour and he doesn't want to do it again
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Has he not been spending the summer putting weight on for the track? He'll obviously be an asset on the flat and the early slopes of a climb but I wouldn't expect too much.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The reduced intensity of racing compared to training with Tim, might be just the ticket to prepare for the Worlds.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • OPQS
    Macaloon wrote:
    The reduced intensity of racing compared to training with Tim, might be just the ticket to prepare for the Worlds.

A valid point that people often overlook. Not just in cycling, but a variety of sports.