Jantex Tub Tape

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Just wondering if any of you have used jantex tub tape and experienced any issues with it. I normally use glue but a time shortage forced me down the tape route for a recent cycling trip. Noticed that there seems to be bits of thread and white glue coming out from between the rim and the tyre which looks a mess. Tyre is still fixed solid but the aesthetic of the bike is awful now :D

Just wondering if anyone has seen this in the past, if this is a problem or could possibly turn into a problem?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    you fell from grace, used tape, and now the tubbie gods have struck down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger etc.

repent before it is too late, use glue, the true glue, and nothing but the glue, vittoria mastik one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I have always used Jantex tape and never used glue, with no issues. However, if this is a rim that has previously had glue on it, then there may be some kind of chemical reaction going on...
  • gotwood25
    Oh the Gods have poured their scorn alright, I also think Imposter might be right with the old glue/tape human combustion thing.

So I have decided to start again, ripped the tyre off. Now how do I remove this horrible sticky mess???
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    White spirit will clear it all up.

Used Jantex for years and so have lots of friends. It's perfect for the job - easy to fit, lasts years, easy to remove.

Don't use glue, don't intend to.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The white glue and thread are bit of the tape. Nothing to worry about and not a chemical reaction.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gotwood25
    Ok cheers for the replies. My time with tape is now over.

After a night of cleaning I have got the rim bed pretty clean, still bits of glue residue which I am not too bothered about as next time I glue that will sort itself out. However there are still bits of the white tape residue which is still gummy and a pain to remove (been using WD-40 and a lot of patience). Is it ok to glue on top of this or will this have to come off for the glue to bond properly??
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Jantex always has threads coming out in my experience with it.
    I now use tufo tape on one set of wheels easier than jantex.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    gotwood25 wrote:
    been using WD-40 and a lot of patience

What are you going to use to get the WD-40 off the rim?
  • gotwood25
    Barbarossa wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:
    been using WD-40 and a lot of patience

What are you going to use to get the WD-40 off the rim?

Citrus cleaner or acetone.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What are you going to use to get the citrus cleaner or acetone off the rim?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gotwood25

Nothing, if that doesn't work I may use a combination of tough love and psychological tactics.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197

Acetone should be the final step in rim prep - air dry and then glue (what one uses to remove this air used for drying is anyones guess :wink: ).
  • I was just searching for something on the Tufo website and came across this - http://www.tufo.com/rim-cleaner/

Might make removing glue a bit easier? Can only assume it's rebadged acetone though so who knows.
  • gotwood25
    I was just searching for something on the Tufo website and came across this - http://www.tufo.com/rim-cleaner/

Might make removing glue a bit easier? Can only assume it's rebadged acetone though so who knows.

A product called 'Rim Cleaner'... I dread to think what you were searching for :shock:
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    I was just searching for something on the Tufo website and came across this - http://www.tufo.com/rim-cleaner/

A product called 'Rim Cleaner'... I dread to think what you were searching for :shock:

Given that I mentioned I was on the Tufo site, what else would I be searching for?

OH, MY BAD, YOU WERE TRYING TOMAKE A JOKE!!! :wink: