(New) Road Wheels ~ All Year Round

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Howdy Boys 'n Gals,

Righto, If I was going down the route of getting new decent light'ish (but robust) road wheels (10 Spd) that are going to be used all year round in UK conditions what should I think of getting???

Shimano DURA ACE hubs???....spoilt for choice regarding rims plus DT or Sapim spokes???....Or is it just simple to go down route of buying off shelf for factory built???

Weight is NOT an issue, I'm only 11 stone (70kg).

All recommendations / input welcomed.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    There are loads of threads on this but DA hubs are fine. You could lace them to Archetype rims, Sapim race spokes, brass nipples, for a solid wheelset, with a nice wide rim which'll run 25mm tyres nicely giving good grip and comfort.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    For all year round use I prefer Hope hubs... the bearings and freehub are very long lasting and the benefit of cartridge bearings is that you can simply mallet off the old ones and put in some new ones. Angular contact bearings like Shimano require a bit of maintenance if you ride in the wet and if you ignore them, then the parts will pit and rust and you will need to replace a lot of very expensive proprietary parts.

So, light rider, all year use = Hope Mono RS
    left the forum March 2023
  • AORboyo
    AORboyo Posts: 53
    What rims you recommend Paolo please.....Archetype or something else???
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    AORboyo wrote:
    What rims you recommend Paolo please.....Archetype or something else???

Yeah, nothing better in that price bracket yet...
    left the forum March 2023
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    and for all year round riding, run tubeless tyres in them there rims.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Hope will work but so will shimano ultegra or even Miche. The ultegra hubs if you look after them will last as long as DA hubs and it fairly easy to do and you really have to neglet an uletgra hub to make it go sour. I think DA hub are far to nice to expose to all the winter crap and too pricey too. Archetype rims are good but with ultegra hubs you are limited to 32H and 36H drillings. do you the OP neglet you car servicing needs if you don't and understand the need for oil, filters and fluid changes at regular intervals then I am sure the OP can get the hubs serviced or do it him/herself.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.