Upgrade Existing or Buy Cervelo R3?

shie1977
shie1977 Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I have a dilemma. Currently have a Colnago CLX 3.0 as my Spring/Summer bike and Cinelli Experience for my commuter/winter bike.
I currently have a £1k bike4 work voucher. Initially I was looking to use the voucher to fund some Kysrium Elite S’s for my Colnago (currently have Aksium’s) and a Kinesis 4S frame to replace the Cinelli frame on my commuter/winter bike. However, I’ve seen a really good deal on a Cervelo R3, 2013 model, with Ultegra groupset, Fulcrum Racing wheelset, Fizik saddle, Rotor crank etc . It retails at £3k but the shop has dropped it £1,800 as it only has 51cm frames in stock and wants shot off them quickly I'm guessing. My dad has offered to give me £800 so that I can get the Cervelo using both his money and the bike 4 work voucher. Should I get the new bike or upgrade my existing ones?

Cheers.

P.S - I've read the R3 review on here for the 2013 model and would look to upgrade the wheelset at some point.

Comments

• Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    There was a similar thread somewhere else, check you can add your own money to the scheme. The cycle 2 work scheme does not let you add your own money, bike 2 work does. So check whichever one you're with allows you to do so. In either case, the bike does not belong to you, it would belong to your employer for the duration of the purchase, I personally wouldn't be forking out extra money for something that is essentially on hire. Also you can't spend the voucher on upgrades, you have to actually have a bike :)
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i would only spend more then the voucher if you knew you wouldn't want rid of it by the time you actually own it, which is 3 years as far as i am aware from a couple of mates who have done the bike4 work etc. i am sure as nice as the cervelo is (id have one) give it a little time and you will just want a new bike!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Depending what size your Colnago is, may be interested if you decide to go down the Cervelo route!
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Step 1. Buy the Cervelo.

Step 2. Ride the Cervelo

Step 3. Repeat Step 2 as often as possible

:)
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold