Frameset for custom build

Pedro77
Pedro77 Posts: 59
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I am have searched the forum and haven't found the answers I needed. Sorry about repeat threads but here goes...

I have my Wilier GTR for over a year and it is a competent, reliable bike, no fault. I like all things mechanic and I am interested in assembling my own bike. The purpose of the new bike is to be a lighter bike, still comfortable to ride and it would be my best bike. I want the Wilier to be my winter bike. My current bike is 10sp and it's ok but I want to have an 11sp to smooth out some gaps on the sprockets. I know I want a mechanical Campagnolo groupset, perhaps Chorus. The trouble is the frameset. I am really not sure which brands to go. I have a budget of around 2.5k for frameset. Cannondale seems ok but I have been reading much about BB30 so not really interested. I like BMC, Derosa for example but it would be nice if you guys suggested a few I may be missing so I can do my research... It's a medium term project but want to buy frameset first...

Many thanks
Pedro

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    So basically, you want a list of bike frames?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    2.5k for a frameset and you're going to put chorus on it?

Only another 300 for record and the difference in frames that 300 quid will make is negligible.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    lawrences wrote:

Only another 300 for record and the difference in frames that 300 quid will make is negligible.

Chorus is superb. One could argue that the difference between record and chorus is negligible. £300 or a few grammes and a badge with a bit more kudos to the uninitiated.

As for a list of £2.5k frames....at least give people a steer so you can receive actual knowledgable feedback on particular frames.
  • Pedro77
    I was thinking Cannondale SuperSix, BMC GranFondo or Team Machine, DeRosa 888, Wilier Zero 7 or, the one I really wanted was Look 965 Light but I bit too expensive for me. Those are just some of the ones I have in mind, the 2.5k budget is not fixed but I don't really want to stretch too far from that.

Regarding the Chorus, I guess Record is the one too have but I cannot see how record would be much better than chorus and I will be perfectly happy with chorus, meets all my needs in terms of reliability and accurate shifting.

Thanks again
    Pedro
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why not go with a WyndyMilla Massive Attack? Lighter than most, a whole lot more interesting and a really nice ride (plus a threaded BB).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Time Fluidity S?

http://www.merlincycles.com/time-fluidi ... 70875.html

Also BB30 though.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Colnago C59. Job done! It might require a little judicious shopping to come in at 2.5K, though.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I think the OP needs to narrow it down a bit in order to get some better recommendations. If he is looking for something similar (fit wise) to his wilier GT or something a bit racier. I think a useful benchmark for frame value is the Canyon CF SLX. the frame is 1999 euros or £1600 and for that you get a very light and stiff, pro tour level frameset. From what I can see that is about as good value as you can achieve for that level of frame. I can't see how an amateur would benefit from spending more than that on the frame unless it is complete custom geometry or you want something unique.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    I've an 888 superking, rides like a dream.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Pedro77 wrote:
    I am have searched the forum and haven't found the answers I needed. Sorry about repeat threads but here goes...

Cannondale seems ok but I have been reading much about BB30 so not really interested.

Many thanks
    Pedro
    Don't rule out BB30 'cos of what you've read the the 'net. Nowt wrong with it (IME), especially on your best bike, which I doubt will see much rain!
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Calpol wrote:
    I think the OP needs to narrow it down a bit in order to get some better recommendations. If he is looking for something similar (fit wise) to his wilier GT or something a bit racier. I think a useful benchmark for frame value is the Canyon CF SLX. the frame is 1999 euros or £1600 and for that you get a very light and stiff, pro tour level frameset. From what I can see that is about as good value as you can achieve for that level of frame. I can't see how an amateur would benefit from spending more than that on the frame unless it is complete custom geometry or you want something unique.

Or you want something that won't break continually that you have to strip down and send back to Germany all the time? :P

I jest, I jest...
  • Grill
    rowlers wrote:
    Pedro77 wrote:

Cannondale seems ok but I have been reading much about BB30 so not really interested.

Many thanks
    Pedro
    Don't rule out BB30 'cos of what you've read the the 'net. Nowt wrong with it (IME), especially on your best bike, which I doubt will see much rain!

So okay as long as you don't ride in the rain... Where do you live?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    djhermer wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

Chorus is superb. One could argue that the difference between record and chorus is negligible. £300 or a few grammes and a badge with a bit more kudos to the uninitiated.

Chorus is the thinking persons Campagnolo Groupset - all the functionality, quality at a much cheaper price. I've got
    mostly Record/SR on my Look but whenever I see Chorus on a top end frame I know that the owner knows his stuff.
    Pedro77 wrote:
    I was thinking Cannondale SuperSix, BMC GranFondo or Team Machine, DeRosa 888, Wilier Zero 7 or, the one I really wanted was Look 965 Light but I bit too expensive for me.

Keep saving and buy the bike you want - I did and never for one minute regretted it despite it being more than three times more expensive than my planned budget!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pedro77
    Thanks guys, really helpful comments.

As for the Windymilla, really good but not looking for custom frame just yet.

I don't mind a racy geometry without being extreme as it won't be my only bike. I still prefer the mechanical groupsets even if electronic is all the hype now... I don't see the need to improve on the mechanical... They just work.

I live in southwest so although balmy summer it still rains a lot in Dorset... BB30 probably OK but everyone has a different opinion... Difficult to understand what is the real deal about BB30...

For me is a bike I will always keep and most importantly I want to build it as I enjoy the process, it will probably be more expensive this way but at least I will have something just the way I really want.

The advice to save for what I really want is a good one and probably the best one.

Thanks for the input, really appreciated.
    Pedro
  • Grill
    What's wrong with stock WM geometry? A lot cheaper and worked for me.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Have you considered Legend? The 5.7 can be had for just over your budget with custom geometry. You also get a Retul fitting to make sure the fit is right. The 4.7 is less than your budget but personally I would plump for the 5.7. Bike Science is the place to look for something a bit different and unique?
  • Grill
    Retul is clownshoes.
  • djhermer
    Grill wrote:
    Retul is clownshoes.

Indeed. It's just another brand name for a piece of software that tells someone some rough generic parameters about how a bike should fit. It's as good as the fitter. If the fitter is as good as he or she should be, then they don't need Retul to assist them.
  • Camcycle1974
    Not a discussion on the relative merits of Retul. Legend would be a good option for the OP, the point that a Retul fit is useless is moot really.If it's part of the deal then why not have it. A manual fit would be an option too.
  • Pedro77
    Excellent advice. I have checked the Wyndymilla again and it does seem an interesting proposition, if a bit alternative. Legend bikes look really special too. I am not that bothered about what bike fit I will have, in the end what dictates if the fit is good or not is my riding comfort and riding pleasure.

Some of my options are out of my budget after a more careful research but that's ok, lovely bikes out there within my budget. Thanks for the input, really appreciated, It was what I was looking for. I just need to sit down and have a good think about how I go about it and order a frame. I will be using the measurements of my current frame, including angles, to get one of the right size when I order it.

I will keep you posted.
    Pedro
  • djhermer
    Not a discussion on the relative merits of Retul. Legend would be a good option for the OP, the point that a Retul fit is useless is moot really.If it's part of the deal then why not have it. A manual fit would be an option too.

You're right. But originally you said that you get a retul for free 'to make sure the fit is right'. I (and i guess grill too) was merely pointing out that this might not be the case and certainly shouldn't be a consideration when deciding which expensive frame to buy. Legend has enough good things going for it. Retul fitting for free is not one of them.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    chanjy wrote:
    What he says.

Fast
    Gorgeous
    Sleek
    Classy

BB30 is fine. Sleeve it and fit Ultegra 6800 11 speed.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Grill wrote:
    Retul is clownshoes.

Aye but Clownshoes do have their uses
  • rowlers wrote:
    Pedro77 wrote:

Many thanks
    Pedro

However its not only the rain that causes the BB30 to creak!!!!!
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Retul is clownshoes.

Aye but Clownshoes do have their uses

Retul fitting is based on formula, they are handing out certificates after short courses to mechanics and shop staff, i am sure the idea of Retul is good but the execustion is not. shops started to offer fitting as a way of income, it takes years to produce a Biomechanic. it may seem simple but its really not.

I have seen some questionable bike Retul results to say the least.
  • Camcycle1974
    Like any system it's only as good as the people using it and interpreting the data. I agree that it should not be used as a guarantee by the shop of getting a good fit but it can be a useful tool in the right hands.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    +1 on WyndyMilla Massive Attack and Chorus...probably my next bike unless I succumb to a Colnago C59 :oops:

I've got Super Record on the Rourke, IMO Chorus is just as good, a tad heavier but a good deal cheaper. Functionally they're the same.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    A few friends have started using Ridley Helium SLs and love them - worth a look?

For something a bit special - how about a Comtat frame?

http://www.comtat.co.uk/products/380.htm