the love for the "sport"

sarm34
sarm34 Posts: 182
edited July 2014 in Road general
For a large part of my life I've always done sport, swimming from the age of three till I was nineteen
competitively, until girls came around, then bodybuilding from the age of twenty one till I was twenty nine, until marriage and kids came, I have always done cycling weather it be a MTB or road, but until these last few weeks I've never realised the love and passion and understanding for this simple sport of cycling.
My job is physical its stressful and its boring, so to be able to get my bike out of the shed and go for a ride is one of the most simple pleasures that I can have in life, I love my bike , being on it, riding it.
I'm an average rider, I would like to think I'm better than that but I know my imitations, and I will always try my very best to push as hard as I can, when I'm out I will always tip my cap to a fellow cyclist weather he's like me fully decked out in Lycra or on his way home from work, because if your on a bike your "one of us" :)
Cycling has made me fitter.... a lot fitter, makes me aware of what foods to eat before and after a ride, and the importance of beer ( the real stuff not your larger rubbish) after a ride, I'm sure that most of us have seen the weight drop off after a few regular rides, and how our body shape changes for the better, and how good we all feel after a good few miles on the flat the down hills and the hills, I know that if I go out on a Sunday evening I wake up on a Monday morning feeling invincible, which brings me back to ....
..... my job is physical its stressful and its boring

Comments

• Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Very well said, its much the same for my riding and the release it gives me from the stresses around here. Its taken me from being morbidly obese to a healthy fit weight and much better overall health. Ride safe and ride lots! :D
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I hate it.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Cycling = Catharsis
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Is it still a sport if you don't race?
  • Do you have a blog?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Sounds like you've got the cycling sorted, now time to sort out your job?
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Bozman wrote:

Yeah that strange area in Sports....

Golf for example is not a Sport - at any time. Its a Game and/or recreational activity ... like Darts or Bowling.

A Sport can also be a game if its physically exerting... like Football.. A Game but also a Sport.

A Sport is something that's physically exerting, evolves competition and head to head battles, involves fitness and training etc.

Cycling is a Sport as its physically exerting but does it also become a hobby or recreational activity .. like Golf?

can of worms
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    With you on that, I tended to cycle in the summer, and have loved it, this year though have been doing it ALOT more and much further, and absolutely love it, weight has come off too, times are dropping too, and even after I get back I can't wait for the next ride. Now my goal is to continue even when the weather goes downhill, fingers crossed.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    my job is physical its stressful and its boring

What job is it?
  • Moonbiker wrote:

What job is it?

Cycling tour guide leader
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Moonbiker wrote:

What job is it?

Cycling tour guide leader

Sportive organiser
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bozman wrote:

Yeah that strange area in Sports....

Golf for example is not a Sport - at any time. Its a Game and/or recreational activity ... like Darts or Bowling.

A Sport can also be a game if its physically exerting... like Football.. A Game but also a Sport.

A Sport is something that's physically exerting, evolves competition and head to head battles, involves fitness and training etc.

Cycling is a Sport as its physically exerting but does it also become a hobby or recreational activity .. like Golf?

can of worms

Can of worms alright.
    The golf is not a sport issue came up at the weekend but if you look at the definition of a sport, it is a sport -
    "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:"
    As far as I'm concerned it's a skill just like tiddlywinks and darts.
  • sarm34
    firstly if you do a "sport" and you get out of breath... its a sport weather you race or not, fishing not a sport, cricket not a sport (you cant get out of breath running 10 yards every ten minutes) F1 not a sport etc
    Moonbiker wrote:

What job is it?

I'm a carpet fitter and you have no idea how stressful it is... and boring zzzzzzzz
    Do you have a blog?

no I don't , I just say what's on my mind
  • sarm34
    Sounds like you've got the cycling sorted, now time to sort out your job?

bit of a problem there, I work for myself and at 47 years of age there's not a lot I'm good at (knees are ok though, cycling helps) :D , plus its my pension when I'm too old and buggered and want to sell my business on
  • sarm34 wrote:

bit of a problem there, I work for myself and at 47 years of age there's not a lot I'm good at (knees are ok though, cycling helps) :D , plus its my pension when I'm too old and buggered and want to sell my business on
    You may think you're stuck but you always have a choice? You have to decide what more important. If you plan to retire in a few years then maybe not so bad, 20 years maybe very bad!
  • sarm34
    sarm34 wrote:

You may think you're stuck but you always have a choice? You have to decide what more important. If you plan to retire in a few years then maybe not so bad, 20 years maybe very bad!

carpet fitting at 67? now that would be bad , I think I've got another 10 years tops , Im a pretty fit bloke (I think) certainly compared to some of my friends (who smoke and drink too much)